Engine swap

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Engine swap

Engine swap

I have an 82 Argo with a Tecumseh 16hp that I want to replace with a 420cc engine from Princess Auto. Would this have enough torque to power a 6x6? Thanks

I would assume it's roughly the same hp I would question the torque number the old Tecumseh was a pretty HD engine large internals heavy crankshaft which contributes to high torque numbers the newer lightwieght off shore engines usually are lower on the torque number in the single cylinder model's that said if you load down a machine or tow with it then might not be the best replacement pleasure use likely OK you might use low gear more often.Cheers

Thanks NCT, was afraid of that, guess I’ll have to spendy more and get the twins!

edrk213, have you tried adjusting your clutches? unless you're looking for more top end, just adjusting your gearing by changing the clutches a bit can do wonders for performance. My clutch springs were getting worn on my old magnum, causing it to "gear up" faster than it should, making it feel low on power all the time, especially while turning. Now that I've geared it back down, it moves and turns like a new machine. I can drag 3 people, 300+ pounds of game animal, and lots of gear out of the woods without feeling low on power, whereas I use to struggle going up a hill in high range. BUT I'll never have the reliability, efficiency, or relative parts availability of a new motor like you will if you do a swap.

Someone on YT with the channel name "Eric" (who is also a member on here) just released a video of them swapping a Honda 650 into their machine. It's a bit pricier then the princess auto, but it might still be worth viewing if you're going that route just to get a general idea. If I ever need to replace my motor, the 650 is a top contender. If you do a swap, make sure you catalog it on a thread here incase someone in the future does the same swap. Good Luck!

Tecumseh oh160 33ft pounds torque princess auto motor 20 so same hp 1/3 less torque that's substantial in my book I would search out a different replacement.nct

I have drove both 6 and 8 wheelers when new with the oh tecumseh single although not exciting they were capable gearing and torque did the job drop under the torque spec that the engineers set clutching and tranny gearing would be a struggle to get proper more is always better its a shame here in Ontario a guy has a Briggs opposed twin straight out of a argo clutch muffler the works would be perfect for you.NCT

I just purchased a early '80 Max 4. The plugs are oil soaked and a spare engine was included. Probably was oem. i am going to do neglected maint. on this unit. It is my first 6 by. Knew it needed a lot. Wondering if I tear this down I might find ugly. Just wondering if there is a direct replacement for the Kohler Magnum 20. No major worries as I own my own machine shop. Just like things with engines. Thanks for any suggestions on powerplants

Don’t really want more power just something reliable. Can’t get the old tec to run properly and I have tried everything so I’m done playing it’s coming out. Maybe try rebuilding later but for now I want a running engine in there. There is the 713 twin that PA has probably go with that.

Southwestern Ont Can about 5 miles from Lake Huron just north of the town of Goderich.
    Had an 83? 6x6 with the Techumseh. Engine was completely baffled out. Replaced it with a Kohler magnum 18. It was an interesting project to say the least. Can't say I would advise it. Probably would go the Briggs route. 16 or 18 or even 23 vanguard. Swapped out a briggs opposed 16 for a 23 vanguard in an early 92 6x6 (later 92 wentto 16 vanguard).Lots of power ,decent reliability, parts are easy to find and relitively cheap.

Liard some good advice there, I had a few machines with the opposed twins found them darn near bullet proof but the Vanguard V twins nice units.NCT

+ Reply to Thread