Getting at engine recoil in 2013 HD650

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Getting at engine recoil in 2013 HD650

Getting at engine recoil in 2013 HD650

This might sound like a dumb question, but....i have a 650HD (2013). When i start the machine, i get a horrible screech as the start kicks in. But the sound doesn't seem to come from the starter. It seems to come from the recoil starter assembly (hand pull) on the engine. I suspect water got into it and rusted it up. I'd like to open it to clean it up..honestly, that screeching sound when you are two hours in the back of the bush is scary. But how to work on it easily? There is a large black duct/scoop fitted onto the recoil starter and it flares out to the mesh grill on the right side of the engine compartment. And it is really jammed in there. How the heck do you get it out? i've tried forcing it but it just won't budge. Friend tells me he got it out by pulling out the whole engine. Someone else said they cut it. There has to be an easier way....any suggestions?

Why Argo? Why?

Wish I could help but iam not familiar with that model I have owned Bigfoot with a air cooler and the intake bucket was a easy removal but have since owned Avengers that come with thier own set of issues getting at things I will never understand with all the cad programs why it's such a puzzle to get at things if only the designers would spend time in a repair shop things would change good luck.NCT

If that’s a Briggs engine the noise is almost certain to be the stub on crankshaft that goes into the rewind drive. That boot was installed before the upper body. I’ve gotten them out with exhaust off and engine picked off mount plate. Probably just as easy to finish lifting the engine out.

North Country! It's me
    ..the rider formerly known as Shorty (traded you my 1993 max 4 few years ago). How the heck are ya?

Your comments on my problem are right on. Damn .

Well I be dammed Shorty good to know ur still in the sport and kickin things pretty good here year of 17 damn near got me had a major health issue slowed me down but not out lol I had after a couple years moved that Max down the road and have kicked myself ever since I liked that machine and kept it at camp yes the Argo a much tougher unit but that Max had its advantages I still have my avenger it just went thru a frame out resto i had been amassing parts for years and figured better get it done before iam too decrepit so 97% completed just down to some minor wiring for accessory items new engine and all so down to two units the Argo and the Attex Superchief still in the same town how bout u.Cheers Rob

Thanks for the reply. I guess I better fix before it actually seizes and costs me a starter.

Is that thing necessary? I mean, it acts like a rain barrel, collecting water and depositing it in the recoil. I get that the engine sits low in the Argo (compared to a Max at least) but there has to be something better. What do they have on the newer models?

If I get it out I may consider splitting it. Has anyone done that and can provide guidance?

I hear ya. Everyday is a friggin health crisis. I've had it bad too... Bent out of shape from work stress. Going to retire soon. Real soon.

Yes, still in the game. 2003 max ( aka 'Shrek' ) and the 2013 Argo. Kids are all gone so just me and the wife doing stupid things deep in the bush. Ah well, its better than sitting in town getting old gracefully. Say hi to your wife please and take care of yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Outhouse View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I guess I better fix before it actually seizes and costs me a starter.

Is that thing necessary? I mean, it acts like a rain barrel, collecting water and depositing it in the recoil. I get that the engine sits low in the Argo (compared to a Max at least) but there has to be something better. What do they have on the newer models?

If I get it out I may consider splitting it. Has anyone done that and can provide guidance?
    Id cut it and put it back in, those machines have enough heat issues already.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

+ Reply to Thread