Replacing idler chain

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Replacing idler chain

Replacing idler chain

I have completely frustrated myself trying to put the connecting link into a new idler chain.
    The new chain has no slack and I cannot line the two ends up to insert the pins of the connecting link. Does anyone have any tips?

Not sure why Bob this is with the motor plate adjusted all the way down any idler chain I ever bought out of Argo had plenty of slack with the motor/Trans plate all the way down.

I do use a pair of modified vice grips on nasty chains

I checked the Argo part number and it?s the correct one. The transmission is as far down as it goes. However the manual does say to remove the power pack adjusting bolt completely to provide better access. I will try this. Maybe that will give me more slack.

Have you a modified vice grip simple build helps tons I guess my sprockets are worn more than yours is the reason I get slack I just installed all new chains.

Check the power pack frame for a second lock bolt between the engine and transmission. I have run into this same problem before and that was the culprit.

This is what I use:

I have one for #60 and I ground another one down for #50 chain.

It looks like I will have to buy a chain tensioner or the Argo vice grips to finish the job. Thank you all for your help.

Be careful pulling those chains too tight. I've had the idler shaft bearings go and the teeth on the brake rotor wear off because I adjusted the chain too tight. Check for another big lock bolt that you may have missed. Those chains should be fairly loose if everything is adjusted all the way down.

If you have both center and rear bolts loose and have pushed down on power pack with leverage and still a no go, first check that the square washers are flat and not standing, if that doesnt work you may want to loosen the front bolt.
    This is all assuming you have adjusted down the the 2 height adjustment bolts.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

+ Reply to Thread