Replacing idler chain

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Replacing idler chain

Quote Originally Posted by ARGOJIM View Post
    If you have both center and rear bolts loose and have pushed down on power pack with leverage and still a no go, first check that the square washers are flat and not standing, if that doesnt work you may want to loosen the front bolt.
    This is all assuming you have adjusted down the the 2 height adjustment bolts.
    The adjustment bolts are down but I will check the square washers. Perhaps that’s why the manual says to remove the whole rear bolt. I have ordered a chain puller from Amazon and will tackle this job again when it comes.

Might be a little bit late to help you now, but I picked up a little chain puller from Princess Auto for ~$20 and it worked a charm. I've never had an issue with the chains that run from the idler to the trans, but I have had an issue with the chains that run from the idler to the front axles.

Also, I wonder if the chain you bought is maybe short a link? If you haven't already, I would count the links on your new chain and old chain just to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett20200 View Post
    Might be a little bit late to help you now, but I picked up a little chain puller from Princess Auto for ~$20 and it worked a charm. I've never had an issue with the chains that run from the idler to the trans, but I have had an issue with the chains that run from the idler to the front axles.

Also, I wonder if the chain you bought is maybe short a link? If you haven't already, I would count the links on your new chain and old chain just to be sure.
    I have the puller from Princess Auto too and used it on the #50 chain but mine is too small for the #60. I have ordered a larger puller from Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by ARGOJIM View Post
    If you have both center and rear bolts loose and have pushed down on power pack with leverage and still a no go, first check that the square washers are flat and not standing,
    You nailed it. That was exactly the problem. I straightened out the nut so the corner was not hitting the frame and voila!
    Thank you ArgoJim!
    Last edited by Avenger Bob; 11-15-2022 at 09:10 AM.

+ Reply to Thread