Are tracks necessary?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Are tracks necessary?

01 bigfoot here 12 inches of snow is probably the maximum for tires. Much depends on the kind of snow you get and how you drive in the snow. Driving in the snow requires smaller control inputs much more often, better to not make big one side lock ups. If trail breaking then beware of drifts. Wet snow more difficult as it packs and can high center you. powder much easier. all applies to tires

When I bought my 2018 Avenger, I watched every video on every amphibious machine I could find, in every terrain I could find. I finally settled on Beaverdam tracks. Other than 3 feet of slush, and climbing bare rock, I have never been stuck. I've been through lots of mud, and 2 to 3 feet of snow. In the slush, I high centered as the slush packed down. I looked at every kind of track available, and saw right away that Argo's rubber tracks can't swim in water. I couldn't understand why Argo made that decision for an amphibious vehicle. Before my Argo dealer died, I had spent many days at his house in Vermont. I saw many machines there that came in for repair. One thing I really noticed was the blisters on the tires that the rubber tracks caused. Obviously rubber tracks are very well suited for many terrains, but I wanted to be able to swim with tracks on. I really liked Escargot tracks, but discovered they weren't available in the United States. Beaverdam tracks are similar, and available. I do break a weld every once and a while, but I just swap out a cleat, and have the broken one welded at my neighbors house across the street. The tracks are not cheap, but totally worth it. I even bought the winter kit that attaches to the tracks, but so far haven't needed it. The winter kit also makes the Argo too wide to fit in my trailer.

Excellent summation by scimanstev.

I have a 6x6 that I plow my driveway with. Been stuck twice, both times was because I backed up on a snowmound I just plowed into the middle of my drive & wasn't thinking when I went to the right to plow other snow. Second was last weekend. After calling myself a few choice words for doing the same as last year, I got out the shovel & a couple car ramps. 15 minutes of digging under it & I was clear. Other than that no issues. I live 15 minutes away from Buffalo & we got some of what they got. I have the 25 inch tire package so that may make a bit of difference over the stock 24 inch.

+ Reply to Thread