tread direction with tracks

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: tread direction with tracks

tread direction with tracks

just wondering before i put on my half tracks if there are any pros or cons in terms of which way the tire treads face . any way better that helps keep track from coming off ? thanks guys johnboy va

Johnboy,
    Probably too late,
    but I haven’t found tread direction to make a difference in keeping track on. Tension is far more important, especially with moveable guide tips.
    I have found that if your track fit is a bit looser than ideal, then it often helps to position your treads in the “traction mode” on the front and “swim/slip” mode on the rear tire (all tires behind the front tire really). Most tires, especially low pressure atv and argo tires have this. Take something flat (a board or whatever) and run it over the treads clockwise and counterclockwise. You’ll see what I mean. I call it with the grain or against the grain.
    This will help certain tires hook up better or slip better. Corner tires will more effectively drive the track both forward and reverse if set up this way in the event the track is a bit long, or the tires lije to leak.

great info buzz ...i did put the tires in the different modes per your suggestion and it seems to work just fine . waiting for some snow to really have some fun . happy holidays to you and yours . johnboy

Happy Holidays to you and yours as well. Glad to hear you’re up and at ‘em

i was having some problems with them coming off sometimes ..i.realized part of the problem was the grousers were a bit wider than my tires and with the higher lugs on the tires they did'nt come down on the sidewalls far enough . so i ordered some 1 1/2 x 1/4'' white delrin flat bar . cut pieces longer and fastened to the insides of the grousers . they took up the space and go down further on the tires . so far it's made a big difference . johnboy

+ Reply to Thread