Cargo capacity

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cargo capacity

Cargo capacity

I've recently purchased my first AATV and have questions regarding load capacity. I have read in these forums about people regularly packing out moose etc. Which seems like it would exceed the capacity limit. I understand the reasoning behind the limits for water(sinking), but am not sure why the limits on land would not be higher. I'd like to find out how much everyone watches the limits on land.

Thanks!!!!

The cargo capacity depends a lot on what model you have. 8x8's are higher than 6x6's, and HDI's & newer machines are a bit higher still. On my old '88 magnum, the weight capacity on land is 1000 pounds. I've been at that limit a few times with a combination of people, animals and gear and its always been fine. My machine is running the older, smaller axles as well. I've packed out lots of moose, but a gutted and quartered moose is normally easily within the 1000 capacity of my old rig, even with people and gear. Towing the animal in a sled or trailer is also an good option.

The reason that the weight capacity is not higher is just due to the nature of skid steers. When you're on flat ground and all 8 axles are taking up even weight, there is very little stress on each individual axle, even if you're overloaded its not really an issue. What does become an issue though, is when you're traveling up or down on uneven terrain you may end up with a situation whereby only 3 or 4 axles are taking all of the weight of the machine + its load. Additionally, when you're climbing over and object and come down on the other side (like a log, or large rock) there will be a moment when nearly 100% of the machine weight is on just the front 2 tires, with momentary forces being way more than the actual weight of the machine (depending on speed). So the rated capacity has to account for those types of situations. How much you want to push that is entirely up to you.

Boring stuff behind, which machine did you buy? and what part of the world are you moose hunting in?

Thanks for the reply Bennett20200, I bought an bigfoot 6x6. It needed a little work, but I have it all ready to go now. I am in Minnesota, and not necessarily moose hunting, but hopefully will be using it for duck/goose/deer hunting and ice fishing. After getting it running/working, I quickly realized I will be needing tracks, so I am already looking to upgrade as I found out tracks for the Bigfoot tend to be quite the spendy ordeal. The machine I purchased has a very custom rack someone built for it, and I would like to transfer that to the new rig. With that being said, it really leaves me looking for a 6x6, which is what I really want anyway. I have already had 4 people and some gear in the Bigfoot, and it didn't skip a beat, so it just seemed like the load capacity might be rated somewhat on the light side. I didn't give much thought to the extreme terrain point you brought up, which makes perfect sense to me. When I need the most capacity, it would most likely be in a field for goose hunting or on a lake for ice fishing, so I don't think there would be much of an issue.

+ Reply to Thread