New CDN Member - Picked up / restoring 1984 Argo 6 Wheeler Ser K54XX + Tire Questions

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New CDN Member - Picked up / restoring 1984 Argo 6 Wheeler Ser K54XX + Tire Questions

New CDN Member - Picked up / restoring 1984 Argo 6 Wheeler Ser K54XX + Tire Questions

Hi everyone! Thanks for having me as a member? I am in Edmonton Canada and just picked up my newest restoration project (1st ever attempt at an Argo or UTV etc.). My introduction to this world was 2 quotes obtained on an ignition coil (at over $ 540.00 - almost choked)! An hour later had ordered 2 coils, 2 condensers and 2 sets of points for under $ 100.00 (Ali Express). Got her started, good compression etc. Now I am on 'TIRES' (please forgive the probably very common questions): The 'original' dealer / mfg style tires I see everywhere are over $ 400.00 each (up here in Canada - not including delivery) - so that's a no go. Original tires I took off it are Goodyear Runamucks. 4 are 22x11x8 NTS and two are 20x11x8 NTS. I have & checked the manual (says for this model 'Goodyear' 20x11x8 but no mention of differing sizes). Here are my questions:

1) Are there supposed to be different size tires? Which ones are different? What are the sizes?

2) How important is the 'original paddle' (or 'sand') style tread pattern? If I buy 'similar' but different tires (less 'paddle' - more 'turf' style, less aggressive tread); will it still go ANYWHERE in the water?

3) How important is the tread to 'traction'? Seems like a dumb question but I am hoping to use the machine (ie: without tracks but has a winch) to help me get some small project cars out of the bushes (mostly dry ground - around the farm).

4) What happens if I put 6 identical 22-11-8 tires on the unit (will they fit)? Will I still have room / clearance to (later on) buy and install a track system? How much tire / body (vertical) clearance is needed for add on tracks?

Thanks for your help! I will post photos as the restoration proceeds etc..
    Skellyman99 - Edmonton Alberta Canada

With tracks, your tires will need to be the same circumference at a pressure. For example mine are 3. 5, 5 and 4 psi on the one side, I think. It has to do with chain wind-up and driving them all at the same speed. I'd get the same size tires and go with the smaller size, if that is what is recommended.

Hi I have a 2007 Avenger 750 EFI that came with super tracks and a add on 22" track of belt material with angle iron grips. It had an aluminum roof and glass windshield. It was used by an outfitting business in Idaho. The right front inner bearing was bad so I replaced all the bearings and chains both sides on the front two wheels. I added a heater kit and I enclosed the sides and back with a plywood and fiberglass frame as the original vinyl was junk. I also added plexiglass windows and doors. I plan to use it to get to my mountain cabin about 9 miles in. so far I have tested it in 24" of snow and all seems fine. My main concern is the tire pressure, because of the track it has 22x10x8 tires. They were running with a hi air pressure when I got it like 9, 12 ,12, 10. After I did all my work and put the tracks back on the tracks seemed too loose with less pressure. so I increased the pressure back to the higher amount. Is it better to run with a loose track vs a tight track? As long as you are not slipping?

I had my tracks set-up on my 07 years ago by the dealer, and they followed the procedure in the manual on how to do it. I would guess that too much air pressure is harder on the machine. Track slippage could lead you to getting stuck and/or throwing a track.
    Have you followed the manual to see where they should be? Those pressures seem quite high, but I'm no expert.

I am actually not getting tracks. I need tires first! Makes sense that the air pressure could be adjusted to get a tight fit though. Just wondering about the tire questions.

As the manual says they should be 20-11-8's, then that's what I'd run. I think ivecread that the paddles do help marginally for the Argo's "swimming" ability. As for the tread type, I'd look at what you're going to be using it on, and see what options are out there, and the pris and cons of each one. I haven't looked at new rubber, as mine are still in decent shape.

the 22" argo tires are the same size as the old 20" runnamucks. i put them on my old I/C argo and the tracks fit great.

I have an 80's 8x8 magnum and I ended up with 22's on mine and I cant imagine going smaller. There's so little ground clearance, that extra bit of room makes a huge difference. For tires, I ordered Duro 243's because they are cheap (80 dollars cad) BUT they do not swim very well... on a 6x6, I'm not sure they would swim at all. They do provide just a small amount of forward motion though. They are advertised as 22's, but they fit more like a small 21. Unless you're forking out for an Argo tire though, there's not much out there that swims.

What Plott wrote, the 22s were a direct replacement at the time. The 20s ran big, other brands will vary and most wont swim well.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

+ Reply to Thread