1991 max iv won't turn off

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1991 max iv won't turn off

1991 max iv won't turn off

I have 1991 max iv yesterday started it up to run for awhile, when i was ready to shut it down flipped the fuel shut and turned the key off and would not shut down.. tried to choke it down still wouldn't... final pulled air cleaner and covered carb and it shut down... WHAT COULD BE THE PROBLEM

Check the kill wire coming off the ignition coil hasn't become unplugged. It needs to make a connection to ground through the key switch to shut off

or where the kill wire plugs to the motor , that's what i found when my briggs did the same thing . johnboy va

could someone post pics of possible wiring connection problems. I replaced my 18 hp with a 23 hp briggs and have the same issue. won't shut down until carb runs out of fuel even though key is turned off. at least I never get gas issues while sitting for a while carb is always drained of fuel, but still bothers me it's not correct.

do i have to get in to the flywheel to check that?

I had a similar issue...used to turn off with the key...then wouldn't (most of the time). I didn't replace the wiring harness/plugs...but I just spliced a kill switch in and grounded it to the stud on the motor. One of the red fighter plane sort of flip switches with a red flap cover. So if you need to kill the engine for whatever reason you just slap the red flap down. I'll eventually get around to tracing the kill wire/key switch/etc issue...but it works well enough now that I may never get to doing that.

+ Reply to Thread