replacing winch

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: replacing winch

replacing winch

Hi there.. I have a 2009 Argo avenger 700 that has a factory brush guard and a super winch X2 Winch. The winch is in rough shape and I would like to replace it.. The X2 is no longer available and I would like to replace it with a Warn winch.. Have any of you done this before? If so, what hardware do you need to change on the mount,, and you have to replace the solenoid and switch, or can or can you just use the existing wiring and replace the leads that connect to the Winch? I would like to keep this as simple as possible. Thanks!.

Quote Originally Posted by Saucymynx View Post
    Hi there.. I have a 2009 Argo avenger 700 that has a factory brush guard and a super winch X2 Winch. The winch is in rough shape and I would like to replace it.. The X2 is no longer available and I would like to replace it with a Warn winch.. Have any of you done this before? If so, what hardware do you need to change on the mount,, and you have to replace the solenoid and switch, or can or can you just use the existing wiring and replace the leads that connect to the Winch? I would like to keep this as simple as possible. Thanks!.
    You may have to drill some new hole locations in the mounting plate but that's it, think the sw bolt holes are further apart.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Thank you, Jim. That is encouraging. I was looking at it more closely tonight, and it really needs to be replaced. The cables shot, the roller fairlead is shot, at some point in time the cable got out of the fair lead and cut through the housing of the winch, and it just seems under powered. Do you all recommend a 3500 pound winch?

My 07 Avenger has a 4,500# Rule on it. So far all I've had to replace was the cable and rollers on the fairlead. If it fails, I'll be staying with a 4,500# again.

I purchased a 5K winch from Harbor Freight for under $300 about 4 years ago. It works a heck of a lot better than the Warn 2500# offered by Argo. I used the ARGO winch mount kit with no issues whatsoever.

I have a couple of these:

https://www.amazon.com/X-BULL-Synthe...2-63e904010ad0

For an inexpensive winch, $169, they work well, and have good features.

Now $153.00 according to Amazon.
    Last edited by Noel Woods; 02-10-2023 at 06:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Saucymynx View Post
    Thank you, Jim. That is encouraging. I was looking at it more closely tonight, and it really needs to be replaced. The cables shot, the roller fairlead is shot, at some point in time the cable got out of the fair lead and cut through the housing of the winch, and it just seems under powered. Do you all recommend a 3500 pound winch?
    I'd go atleast 1000lbs heavier than the superior super winch you now have.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

+ Reply to Thread