I'm back with a max and a half or so

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I'm back with a max and a half or so

I'm back with a max and a half or so

Hi all. I'm back with a max iv project, whatever are some must do mods while assembling? For now I'm going to be running a super tight budget 18 HP vanguard with 23hp cam. It will probably be a smoker as it had water in the cylinders at some point from the looks of the cylinders , but the rest looks pretty decent except the combustion area in the heads is also equally rusty. But aside from the engine. What are the absolute must do mods for a long lasting max iv? I'm planning body band and something to brace the "fenders" with the seat frame. Aside from that I'm not real sure the best mods. I'm just glad to back and to be in a max iv.
    DanW

good man dan! glad to here it . we had 2 max 4's at busco this past weekend . one had a 20 hp kubota motor . boy did it have the torque ! they are good machines . i'm sure you will get some good suggestions here . keep at it . johnboy

Was that you asking on FakeBook? If so i responded.

Yes sir, are you also Mr Morris? I know I bought a clutch from you a couple years back but I can't remember what name was on the box
    DanW

I was hoping we'd see a couple guys en route since we were in NC and back to pa but we didn't pass anyone at least not anyone hauling on an open trailer lol.
    DanW

I can't get over how big a max iv is. Quite a bit of difference from a ii, more than I thought there would be anyhow. It looks like I should be able to get in and out easy after I modify the seat position. The sides being nice and wide open i shouldn't have too many issues getting in or out.
    DanW

Quote Originally Posted by Dw89xj View Post
    Yes sir, are you also Mr Morris? I know I bought a clutch from you a couple years back but I can't remember what name was on the box
    Thats me.

Well my wife decided I should just buy a 20hp vanguard that's kind of local, since it's already running rather than rebuild the 18 horse that might or might not be a smoker, I haven't tried to hone it out to see how deep it might be pitted. Either way I'm calling it a win, I just don't know if I can resist letting it alone until the rest of the machine is together. I have the 23hp cam still waiting on a budget engine. I'm hoping I don't need to swap cranks the picture online looked like the 20 has the stubby crankshaft snout. From what I gather the only difference is the carburetors from 18 to 20hp. Does anyone know if the combustion chambers are different from 18 to 20hp? I read that the valves were all the same size from 14 to 23hp just different combustion chambers and 21 to 23 having the different intake and exhaust. If anyone can verify that would be awesome. It would be real nice if my wife liked me enough to trade her 23 horse for the 20 we're going to pick up, but I won't hold my breath ������
    DanW

Quote Originally Posted by john swenson View Post
    good man dan! glad to here it . we had 2 max 4's at busco this past weekend . one had a 20 hp kubota motor . boy did it have the torque ! they are good machines . i'm sure you will get some good suggestions here . keep at it . johnboy
    Thank you johnboy how is the track testing and development coming, I always enjoy reading your findings. Are you still running the highboy? I might take the extra frame I have and try to find a transmission and build an open machine with no body. If we ever get another real winter I might give a **** at tracks, I like the design of the channel tracks and my welder friend gives me a good price. I guess I should just finish one thing at a time instead of trying to juggle all of my projects lol
    DanW

Pulled the older of the two max ivs out to start figuring out what else I will need. I may be on the prowl for a parts machine if any are around. My wife decided she wants whichever I don't build for myself.
    DanW

+ Reply to Thread