My Briggs 16hp might have developed a fatal problem.

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My Briggs 16hp might have developed a fatal problem.

My Briggs 16hp might have developed a fatal problem.

The Briggs 16hp in my 98' Argo Vanguard suddenly shut off while idling. It started right back up but was making a noise similar to a pressure cooker. I took the belt off and turned the engine over by hand and noticed a metallic scraping and popping noise (a bit like an aluminum can being rubbed against a saw blade). The engine starts and runs about as well as it always did but the noise has me concerned that it might not continue for much longer.
    I'm a bit at a loss as what to do next. I suppose I'll check the oil next for shavings. I'd rather someone else get into it if it requires the engine to be taken completely apart. So I'm thinking of pulling the engine out and taking it to my local lawnmower repair shop (I have the only 6x6 in the area I think).
    If it's a fatal problem or too much to be worth fixing I was thinking of putting in a Honda GX690 or something similar.

i would take the flywheel off and see if something has fallen between it and the engine block.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by racerone3 View Post
    i would take the flywheel off and see if something has fallen between it and the engine block.
    I pulled the flywheel and found that one of the earthen magnets inside had suffered partial existence failure. This shredded a metal ring that was inside protecting the magnets and the pieces were rubbing on various parts of the alternator and engine block which explains the noise. The problem wasn't fatal, the engine seems to run just fine now without the noise. Though I wonder if I should replace the flywheel as the earthen magnets got pretty beat up from the chunks that were grinding around inside.

i would replace it. also check to make sure your battery is still charging. it easily could have broken a wire on the charging coil
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

+ Reply to Thread