throttle and governor etc.

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: throttle and governor etc.

throttle and governor etc.

i've heard different opinions on this . my throttle on the max 2 with 21 h.p. briggs vanguard is really hard to operate . it's not the cable or the twist grip binding ,etc because when engine is off it's really easy to turn . but when running there seems to be so much resistance against the governor . they say don't bypass it cause you can rev too many rpms and blow the engine .but if your aware of that and don't drive it hard seems it would be o.k. unless there is a way the governor can be adjusted to not be so strong . takes some of the fun out of driving it . any ideas would be nice . thanks jboy va

seems the governor adjusts for when load is put on motor as in mowing high grass ,etc. for machines where throttle is set at one position , not for speed changes . jb

motor guy's ?

John it's the same with my 23hp Vanguard. You are correct the stock throttle on these engines are designed to be set in one position and the governor varies the throttle depending on the load so you're always fighting the pull of the governor. There's no great solution when using stock carb/gov setup. You might try changing the spring rate on the spring the attaches the throttle and governor arm. Might be able to soften the tug on the throttle that way. Another route would be bypass the governor all together. Install a crank arm like Performance V-twin sells https://www.performancevtwins.com/pr...hrottle-crank/ The concern of over revving I think is a bit over stated if you have any common sense. You could easily add a mechanical throttle stop or even a electronic rev limiter like BackWater Performance sells. Spend all afternoon floating the valves, yeah you're going to blow it up. Drive like normal and it'll be just fine.

Check out the mud motor, air boat and the tractor pull guys. They have been doing crazy stuff with these motors for years and have a lot of products that would work great in our application.

thanks norton...great info that i was looking for . i agree , if your not hot rodding the machine for hours on end or opening it up wide throttle trying to dig out of a impossible mud hole for 10 minutes it seems logical . back in my youth , we always bypassed the governor on our 5 hp briggs mini bikes . nice to know your motor is the same way . thanks , i will check up on your ideas. jboy va.

made the change a while back ...much easier and more comfortable to use , especially since i went to horizontal hand levers . set the throttle stop so motor won't rev past 4000 rpm . power is right there when throttle is turned ..but i hardly go wide open at all . enjoyable now ! jboy va

What exactly did you change? Good to hear it's working better for you now!

norton ...basically i removed the heavy governor spring off the assembly , then loosened the clamp bolt on the governor shaft . left it all in place and added a small pull spring to the throttle for pulling it shut as i let off , it's a briggs vanguard 21 hp twin . jb

+ Reply to Thread