RIM/Max IV sprockets and gear ratio

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: RIM/Max IV sprockets and gear ratio

RIM/Max IV sprockets and gear ratio

Has anyone experimented with changing gear ratio between transmission (15 tooth sprocket) and lower rear axle (34 tooth sprocket)? This gives a 2.26 :1 ratio. That was at the time when the machine was equipt with a 2 stroke engine. Now with a 4 stroke, i have torque but not much top speed. I am going to go with a 30 tooth sprocket on the rear drive axle to give me a 2.00 :1 ratio. Hopefully i have enough for tensioner adjustment, since that sprocket will be smaller. Ive also changed my secondary clutch to a smaller 9". Any thoughts on this?

not sure what your saying ... but any sprockets changed on the wheel axles needs to be the same size on all three .or changing any on the trans or jackshaft have to be the same for both sides of the machine . otherwise you get chain windup or 3 wheels on one side turning faster than the other side . maybe you know this ...so good luck .let us know how it turns out . jboy va.

You will be fine but may have to loose a link or so. I put 28's in my racer for short tracks but we don't do them anymore so I have to go down more for the big tracks.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Last edited by AllenCordier; 10-29-2023 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Trying to show diagram

In the diagram, these are the sprockets im referring to. Im only changing the main drive sprockets from the transmission which originally has 34 teeth to a 30 tooth sprocket. This will be done on both sides. All the rest of the sprockets will remain the same size so there wont be any binding. Jim, is this the sprocket you referred to changing to a 28 tooth for short track? Thanks for they replies.

Yes I dropped the 34 tooth to 28, 30 would probably be a good 4stroke trail friendly gear, the 34 were used til the end of Max including the splined units which I would assume for track use reasons, none are speed demons.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Great to hear! Thanks for the information. I appreciate it!

+ Reply to Thread