painting a polyethylene body

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: painting a polyethylene body

painting a polyethylene body

My max was very faded when I bought it. One day I went ahead and tore the whole thing apart, took a brillo pad to the body to scuff it up a little, taped off the emblems, and painted it. I used some spray paint from Walmart called Fusion that was supposed to bond to it along with several other plastics. It is supposed to be able to bend some without chipping.

While it still looks much better than it did when I got it, it is starting to chip off in random places. I was just wondering if any of you had some luck with other paints. Not that I am planning on tearing it apart again any time soon but it would be good to hear your experiences.

Mike, I have tried painting poly bodies many times and eventually it seems that the paint always chips or flakes off. Talk to Dan R.....I think he has a really nice red Max II body that he is selling very cheap. I might even be able to deliver it for you since I might be down in NC this summer.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Jeff, I appreciate the lead on the body but I'm just going to stick with mine for now. I was just wondering if anybody ever had any successful painting experiences. Overall I am pleased with the paint I just wondered if there was a better paint or refinishing method on the bodies.

Thanks again man!

Painting plastics is really hard (from my experience). Maybe a powder coat would attach itself better.

Here's a good website for autobody & paint supplies (and info): Eastwood Company: Auto Tools, Body Repair, Classic Car Restoration, House of Kolor Paint, Powder Coating
    Last edited by Beeman; 06-19-2007 at 12:36 AM.

Beeman, I didn't even look to Eastwood. I'll surf their site and see what they might have. They might even have something just for that.

bumper additive

when the auto companies paint plastics and bumpers on cars they have an additive that they add to the paint that makes it flexible, you can buy it at auto stores in the paint departments

Perhaps I should have researched that before I painted it! Really though, that's good to know. Do you happen to know what it's called?

Theres a couple that I found the one that sounds best is Dupont Plas-tick4150s 2k flex additive

Awesome, thanks for that info.

Paint wont stick,TRY THIS

Ok guys & gals,
    I have a friend that is a chemist for a big paint company.(They make paint)
    They worked on it for a week (five other chemist)could not make a paint stay stuck on HDPD.(plastic)I tried Fusion paint from Krylon and all the others,nothing worked.I even tried under coating No luck.Some paint looked like it stuck even with the use of paint addhision,& a heat gun but scratch off with a finger nail. So if you use paint, plan on touching it up alot if you ride alot in the brush or in anyway that it will get scratched.I did come up with a way to camo it out if you are a hunter.Deepcreekcamo.com,has a sheet of roll on camo.They use it on trucks boats,campres,trailers,atvs and Rinos, gulf carts.Its about $75.00 a sheet.It will work for you and they have alot of different patterns.HOPE THIS HELPS OUT ANY OTHER HUNTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!

Deep Creek Camo - Camo Vinyl Patterns for Trucks, Guns, ATVs, Boats & More!
    Last edited by Mike; 09-27-2007 at 06:30 PM.

+ Reply to Thread