Does anyone have any experience with both Bigfoot & the new Frontier?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone have any experience with both Bigfoot & the new Frontier?

Does anyone have any experience with both Bigfoot & the new Frontier?

I have a 2000 Bigfoot...just wondering how the new steering, brakes, hp, and longer wheelbase compare?
    2008 Argo Avenger EFI 8x8
    2001 Argo Bigfoot 6x6

I've talked to a few people about them and they think the difference is almost night and day. A friend of mine says he'll do things with the Frontier that he could/would not with his Bigfoot.

The gear ratio change in the gearbox makes a world of difference when using a track. The bigfoot lost 1/2 it's power with tracks, almost none on the new models.

Quote Originally Posted by xrover View Post
    The gear ratio change in the gearbox makes a world of difference when using a track. The bigfoot lost 1/2 it's power with tracks, almost none on the new models.
    I read a post that the Frontier was good in high climbing some decent hills. I may need to try one...
    2008 Argo Avenger EFI 8x8
    2001 Argo Bigfoot 6x6

I have no personal experience with driving the Argo Frontier (or any Argo, for that matter), but I do know that I lusted after several of the machines at the Ledges Ride this year. Ground clearance is amazing, the tire swim great and have amazing traction, the overall design is well thought out, the engine is great and sounds awesome, ground speed is respectable....

If it had a T-20 I'd already own one. I guarantee it. I just can't get over the limited slip differential. (or the $13,000 price tag for how I'd have to outfit it).

~m

The Frontier is the machine Argo should have introduced back in 1998 instead of the Bigfoot. There is no telling where the industry would be today if they had released such a fine vehicle back when the market was so good. It has good power, great looks, and it's extremely well made. There are very few things I would change. The new transmission works very well although it is still an open differential. The fact that ODG completely redesigned the transmission yet ended up with the exact same differential is nothing short of just plain stupid. The vehicle could have been perfect.
    Everybody dies, but not everybody lives.

The frontier has lots of things that are better than a bigfoot. That doesn't make bigfoots obsolete.. one of the best things you can do to a bigfoot is wheels and tires that will run aired down so you have flex, soft ride, and traction. Jon Hoath got some replacement 10x9 Matt Oxender wheels that completely changed his bigfoot, You could run the rawhide III's completely flat w/o losing a bead, 'course that's too low to not hurt a tire. But completely changed the vehicle. Tory now owns it.

Open differential?

Quote Originally Posted by MaxRules View Post
    The Frontier is the machine Argo should have introduced back in 1998 instead of the Bigfoot. There is no telling where the industry would be today if they had released such a fine vehicle back when the market was so good. It has good power, great looks, and it's extremely well made. There are very few things I would change. The new transmission works very well although it is still an open differential. The fact that ODG completely redesigned the transmission yet ended up with the exact same differential is nothing short of just plain stupid. The vehicle could have been perfect.
    Could you please explain something to me. In my mind an open differential (or limited slip-whichever it is) means that when this machine gets in the mud or snow or under extreme traction conditions most of the drive is sent to the side with the most traction. Is this correct or do I have the wrong idea? If it does in fact work this way I am failing to understand how this vehicle could be so good off the road with out true six wheel drive. I am understanding this correctly or is there something I am not getting here? Please explan and make me wise on this mater. THX DAN

Hydromike-limited slip

Quote Originally Posted by hydromike View Post
    I have no personal experience with driving the Argo Frontier (or any Argo, for that matter), but I do know that I lusted after several of the machines at the Ledges Ride this year. Ground clearance is amazing, the tire swim great and have amazing traction, the overall design is well thought out, the engine is great and sounds awesome, ground speed is respectable....

If it had a T-20 I'd already own one. I guarantee it. I just can't get over the limited slip differential. (or the $13,000 price tag for how I'd have to outfit it).

~m
    Hydromike, I ask you the same question I asked RogerS, does this mean that this machine sends more drive to the wheels with the most traction under extreme conditions?(Extreme conditions are what I am all about). Does this mean that the machine is not a true six wheel drive under extreme conditions? Please make me wise here Hydromike. THX DAN

Oh boy, Dan... You're making me walk a very slippery slope already on the new board. Before I spout my very limited knowledge of the Argo transmission, let me say that there was a very in depth....er.....discussion about Argo vs. Max transmissions on Route 6x6 about 3 months ago. I would review those threads as well.

As I understand it (lots of qualifiers here) the Argo will send the most power to the side of the machine with the LEAST traction. (Argo owners, please correct me if this is wrong...) It's a lot like an open differential on your car when one tire is on ice. That tire will spin because it's the path of least resistance through the transmission. Whether or not this is "true six wheel drive" is up for debate. There are a lot of Argos that can still spank my Attex/RIM.

The T-20 acts like two completely different transmissions that is joined by a common in put shaft. You have your left transmission engage with the left lateral, and the right transmission engage through the right lateral. The two halves never know what the other half is doing. If you're not used to a T-20, this isn't always the best thing. It takes getting used to operating each as a separate transmission. Some take to it quicker than others.

That said, I can't claim one machine is superior to the other. I saw an Argo Frontier climb up out of the creek at Ledges with minimal effort. Maxes, other Argos, and even our trusty Attexes got towed out. I think it comes down to the driver and how he/she can make their respective machines perform.

Hope this helps...

~m
    Last edited by hydromike; 08-14-2007 at 07:50 PM. Reason: forgot the "~m"

+ Reply to Thread