Does anyone have any experience with both Bigfoot & the new Frontier?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone have any experience with both Bigfoot & the new Frontier?

thanks!!!

I just read the info on route 6x6 and if I am not crazy it sounds like the argo has an open differential???(Not counting the old t-20 argos) And will send traction to the wheels with the least traction. Do not kill me argo owners I am trying to learn here. One guy stated the the t-20 is in or out but I have noticed when I am in the water I can pull back on the right or left lever and still have drive going to those tires although slower. Hummmm. I do know this for sure, when those sticks are forward I have drive to all six wheels and anytime I go thru a critical area I try to set myself or pick a line that will allow to keep all six wheels churning. It works well for me but I must admit there is a learning curve that will make your aatv go according to your skill. No one kill me please! If you can make me smarter on this subject, please do so.
    Last edited by mightymaxIV; 08-14-2007 at 10:41 PM.

It's pretty simple to "Fool" the Argo Trany into thinking it has traction to all tires, simply by braking a bit on the side that is slipping. This causes the trans to put power where you want it.
    I have no experience with the T-20, but have had quite a bit of time spent with Argo's. A good operator can make them go some very amazing places.

Thank you sir this is what I needed to hear. This works a lot like a vw sand rail with a steering brake, if a wheel spins just apply brake to the spinning side and power goes the other way. have I got this right? What happens with the handle bar steering? I didn't know you could brake the opposite side with handlebar steering? Thx Doc your videos are the best!!!!

going back to route6x6
    Last edited by gearhead; 07-20-2017 at 08:20 AM.

The other factor about the argo differential is turning effort. If one side slows down, the diff trys to send those lost revolutions to the other side. So at a stand still with one side braked, the gear ratio to turn the other is doubled. Especially hard on underpowered 8 wheelers.. not a big deal on something like a 23hp frontier. If on slick conditions not a factor.. can be easy turning and very quick to react. The driver effort is very low however, takes nothing to steer an argo. You also have exellent brakes in nuetral and shifting on inclines is easy and safe as a car.

I always enjoyed swapping vehicles with Jon Hoath when he had a new 23 kohler maxII. It was an easy turning sports car, and he called my 8 wheeler a cadillac.

And the debate continues. I guess technically speaking an Argo is not a 6 wheel drive in conditions that would allow it to favour the side with the least amount of traction. But then that can be said for pretty much over 80% of all 4x4 ATV's and Trucks since very few have locking differentials on them. In practice though, the argo owner learns to lock the side slipping manually with their brakes to force power over to the other wheels. I offroad in an old landrover with open diff's, and can pretty much get through what I need to. If doing serious off camber rock climbing, then diff locks become essential.
    The debate can now continue....

The Argo trans has always been a very easy to operate unit. It is easy to shift, provides downhill engine braking, and it's very dependable. The new trans (Avenger and Frontier) use the new trans. It improves on the old one with a better shifter, bigger disc brakes, and silent running angle cut gears. The gearing is perfect as low gear is rarely needed with the bigger motors Argo uses these days. Low gear was always a sort of 'cover up' for the huge loss of power when steering these vehicles. The new trans works much better and steers really well. The Frontier is an amazing off road machine. It is true the vehicle can be 'tricked' into six wheel drive with the steering brakes. However, that does require using the brakes and that means loss of power and momentum. The new trans also seems to hold all wheel drive a lot better than the old one did. As stated before, it still uses the old tran's open differential for reasons no one will ever understand. I believe it is simply a matter of too much pride on the line at ODG. The exact same thing happened to Honda when they said Polaris's belt drive would never work (now almost EVERY quad on the market is belt drive, but Honda refuses) Even with it's nearly 40 year old design, the T-20 is still superior in the toughest off road conditions.
    Everybody dies, but not everybody lives.

have I got this right? What happens with the handle bar steering? I didn't know you could brake the opposite side with handlebar steering?
    Hey Dan, I think it's pretty much covered, but Yes, sounds like you got it.
    Handle Bar Steering, Turning the handle bars to the left will apply the left brake, and vise versa. When you want to apply both brakes, ex going downhill, it has a hand brake that will activate both brakes.

I should have a new River Crossing vid coming shortly, hope you like it........Stay Tuned.

Well, after a weekend in my Bigfoot my back is killing me. I don't know what to do...I was kinda edging to the new Frontier with tracks but a mechanical bull is probably cheaper.
    2008 Argo Avenger EFI 8x8
    2001 Argo Bigfoot 6x6

+ Reply to Thread