Age old starter problem

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Age old starter problem

Quote Originally Posted by msafi65 View Post
    I know we have discussed this before. Are you still using the original braided ground strap? I?ve had several fail in the crimped ends. Have you used a jumper battery when it acts up? The added amperage usually helps some. I would like to figure out if the drive is engaging the flywheel on a click - non crank. Have someone turn the key to get the click and carefully move the driven clutch to see if drive is engaged. If the drive is engaged, jump B+ to the input terminal of the starter motor. With key engaged and jumping across solonid. If it cranks the problem is likely the solonid not closing the contacts properly. These cold problems are usually slow engagement caused by heavy grease on drive or solonid plunger. Have to wait for cold weather to test now! Good luck. The
    I redid the grounds when I relocated the bigger battery reusing the original ground strap. I will go through them again. I?m almost positive the solenoid is not engaging with the flywheel. I did clean the solenoid and add the light weight grease however I?m not sure what brand the solenoid is. My local starter/battery guy says if memory serves me correct Denso is the best. I will get with him again on this. The relay is supposed to ensure the full 12 volts at the starter. I spoke with an avid snowmobile guy about this. He says it?s common on the sleds due to belt dust getting on the starter not allowing the spur gear to slide into the flywheel. He gives it a shot of brake cleaner then a shot of WD40 and it works every time. It?s something to consider however I?m not sawing on a drive belt like the high powered sleds. I really am leaning towards the weak solenoid.
    What it lacks in ground clearance it makes up for with traction.

Thank you for all the replies. When I get yo the bottom of this I will be sure and post. It may be a common problem but I can’t have that when out on a frozen lake miles from shore. This is my ice fishing machine. Don’t need cold weather issues.
    Last edited by tbone9; 03-31-2024 at 08:46 PM.
    What it lacks in ground clearance it makes up for with traction.

+ Reply to Thread