Age old starter problem

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Age old starter problem

Age old starter problem

I know I covered this before on here but still can?t figure it out. In cold weather it clicks but won?t engage. Sometimes it takes 50 plus time?s turning the key. Here?s what I?ve done so far. Bigger battery. Hooked up a relay to make sure it gets the full voltage to the starter. New starter. Took starter apart put light weight synthetic grease in it for the cold. This is a very random problem and I?m out of ideas. Other than dynamite, I?m open for suggestions.
    What it lacks in ground clearance it makes up for with traction.

I would thoroughly check the wiring especially the ground side. Any bad/loose/pinched/corroded wires or connections, or wires grounded to a painted surface will cause problems.

Thanks Rod. When I put a bigger battery in I relocated the grounds and made sure to grind paint off.

Try checking the amp draw the next time it happens. If it is real high at the starter try turning the engine over by hand, then try the key again. If you have little to no amp draw you know the starter is not doing anything. I would also do voltage checks. Hopefully this will give you a good starting point to troubleshoot further.

Sorry if you have already tried all of this. I'm looking at this as if it were mine and I was troubleshooting it myself. I'm trying to find a good starting point to narrow down the possible issues it could be. Intermittent problems are the hardest to find.

What engine do you have? When you say it clicks but wont engage, where is the click coming from? Is the solenoid clicking and the starter motor not spinning? Or is the starter not engaging the ring gear?

Since you provided a list of items you have done, I believe you have either a bad starter solenoid or there is still an issue with the wiring such as a loose connection or an internal break in a wire. I had a similar issue years ago and finally figured it out when I replaced the main ground wire and noted it had corroded internally within the insulation.

If its a B&S motor I would lean more towards the solenoid as that is a recurring problem with Briggs.

I should have mentioned I have the 27 hp Kawasaki. The solenoid is on the starter itself. The solenoid clicks but doesn’t engage to the flywheel. I will triple check the wiring. Such an intermittent problem. It sits out in below 0 weather at camp. Starts right up. Later in the day after using it it may or may not work. Even after it warms up through out the day. Thank you all for the advice.
    Last edited by tbone9; 03-27-2024 at 02:12 PM.

I know we have discussed this before. Are you still using the original braided ground strap? I’ve had several fail in the crimped ends. Have you used a jumper battery when it acts up? The added amperage usually helps some. I would like to figure out if the drive is engaging the flywheel on a click - non crank. Have someone turn the key to get the click and carefully move the driven clutch to see if drive is engaged. If the drive is engaged, jump B+ to the input terminal of the starter motor. With key engaged and jumping across solonid. If it cranks the problem is likely the solonid not closing the contacts properly. These cold problems are usually slow engagement caused by heavy grease on drive or solonid plunger. Have to wait for cold weather to test now! Good luck. The

My 27 horse Kawasaki engine did the same thing, I got tired of fighting with it, took it to a starter shop: it was the solenoid, I replaced the starter, no more issues.

The 27hp Kawasakis have those solenoid and grounding strap issues for sure. My ztr has this engine and its been a problem for years. I think I'm on solenoid number 9 and the ztr is 14 years old.

+ Reply to Thread