Comments on my new Argo 6x6 700 Frontier Scout

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Comments on my new Argo 6x6 700 Frontier Scout

Comments on my new Argo 6x6 700 Frontier Scout

First: wow this machine is fast and it gets to the top speed quickly! Got to 25 mph fast and showed 26 MPH one time. I don't remember my 750 Kohler or my 6x6 HD with a 23 horse Briggs being any where near this fast.

Second: the new clutch system is very abrupt and you have to learn to roll the throttle on very carefully to keep the machine from jerking.

Third: This new clutch system may give you more torque but it comes with a price and that price is a drive belt that loves to howl or squeak. All that drive belt noise may go away with time, we will have to see.

Fourth: I have the 24 inch tires on the machine and this Argo seems to swim a lot better than my previous machines. Seat of the pants says over 3 MPH.

Fifth: The new metal floor under the drivers feet likes to rattle and that can be annoying if you don't quickly realize where the noise is coming from.

Sixth: Love the low range, nothing beats an Argo low range when you really need those lower gears.

Seventh: The machine is very impressive with just tires, I had no issues pulling out of two different ponds with a very steep climb angles.

Eight: As good as the machine is it is going to be better once I get the Alaska Bush tracks on the machine. Turning on and off road is going to be a lot easier with less stress going to the chains and bearings on normal trail rides.

Congrats Dan:
    Sounds like a high-powered, maneuverable little machine. Can't wait to see it in action.

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Woods View Post
    Congrats Dan:
    Sounds like a high-powered, maneuverable little machine. Can't wait to see it in action.
    Noel, there is a very good chance that you will get to this machine up close and personal as I plan to make at least one trip to Texas to run with you in that Texas mud.

does sound like a really good performer ! are you sure it won't tackle the easy trails and mud at busco without tracks ? sure would enjoy your company . jb

Quote Originally Posted by john swenson View Post
    does sound like a really good performer ! are you sure it won't tackle the easy trails and mud at busco without tracks ? sure would enjoy your company . jb
    John, you,know me,nothing but the hard stuff.

I’ve got the new heavy duty Argo belt on my Max and yes she’s s loud but out performs anything I have had by a lot. Lots less wear. I believe it’s because of the Kevlar strip woven into it. You can see it if you look at the working sides of the belt. Timken designed this belt specifically for Argo.
    Last edited by tbone9; 03-31-2024 at 08:47 PM.
    What it lacks in ground clearance it makes up for with traction.

Alright, I have owned a 27 horse Kawasaki powered MaxIV, An Argo 6X6 HD powered by a 23 horse Briggs and joined to an admiral transmission, An 8x8 Argo HDI with the 30 horse fuel injected water cooled Kohler engine and an Admiral transmission, an 8x8 Frontier with the fuel injected Kohler engine, A Mudd OX with the 50 horse Fuel injected engine, and an Argo 6x6 Scout with the fuel injected Kohler engine.

Now we come to the new Argo 6x6 Frontier Scout:

I think this 23 horse Briggs is under rated, the machine feels fast, it accelerates very, very well and surprises me with the available power.

I have had the machine to 26 MPH several times, with the tachometer showing 4000 RPM. In water the governor kicks in at 3200-3300 RPM, and I must admit I am impressed by the governing action which works very very well.

At first I thought the clutch action was way to aggressive but with a little experience I have learned to roll the throttle on so there is a very smooth power delivery.

Turning the machine does rob power but with a little experience you can find the balance of throttle and skid steering to make the machine continue to move very quickly with out killing you trail speed.

Next: This machine swims very well.

The Argo built quality seems to have improved and although the improvements are minor they make a very big difference in the ability to enjoy the machine in trail, water and swamp conditions.

Although the old style transmission is no equal to the admiral on the trail I have found the old style transmission to have certain advantages in swamp and heavy mud conditions.

Finally my Alaska Bush Tracks Have been shipped and I will be able to test this machine under some pretty extreme conditions to find out just how well the machine responds to heavy duty real swamp.

Can't wait to see it all together when the tracks arrive. This should be a very capable machine.

nice report dan ...sounds like with a little test running your getting best performance .. i'm also excited to see it with the tracks going thru some mud . i'm glad to hear the 23 hp briggs is o.k to run at 4ooo rpm . i bypassed my governor on my 21 hp vanguard , then set the throttle so it could'nt rev pass 3600 rpm . i could'nt believe how much more power i have . i don't think i ever had near 21 hp with the governor . so much more fun and at busco i got thru mud i never would have tried . jb

Should have come to Busco, you would have been happy with conditions.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

+ Reply to Thread