Argo Magnum 8X8

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Argo Magnum 8X8

Argo Magnum 8X8

Well I guess you can say I?m afflicted with the sickness now? I bought another project lol. My wife sent me a facebook marketplace post for a Argo. They were asking $1200 but I offered $1000 and they said yes. So I went and picked it up!

I drained the old gas, charged the battery and cleaned the spark plugs. The starter wasn?t engaging so after a liberal application of atf and a few taps the bendix started to move. Then it actually started up! It idles great and revs clean! I was pretty surprised and I?m excited about getting it all fixed up. I?m trying to figure out how to load pictures and videos.

So I received the manual with the Argo. It?s a 1987 model with the 18hp Kohler engine. It only has 192.5 hours on it! A mouse has gotten in it and chewed a few wires though, so I?m going to have to replace those. I got the bendix freed up, and it?s running pretty good. I?m going to change the oil and run some sea foam through it today. It?s going to need 4 new tires sadly. I?m thinking about getting the Mag Bar tires in a 21x11x8. Does anyone know if these older 8 wheelers still fit tracks with a 21? tire or do they require the 20? tire for clearance?

I put on 2 new tires today and started servicing it. I greased every zerk I could find but I could only find them on the outside bearings. No zerks inside the tub. I had to pull the carb off and clean it out because it started dying when I tried to test drive it. It had some water in the gloat bowl that grew algae. Got that all cleaned out, and adjusted the carb a smidge. It?s running pretty good now! I took the last two flat tires off and drove it around the driveway a few times. The brakes are out of adjustment but still working and the volt meter is reading intermittently. Haven?t tracked down why.

Rowdy I wouldn't think 1 inch in tire size would bother the tracks much keepthe air pressure down mount up the tracks spin them freely while up off the ground check ur slack and air up accordingly,the 18 mag uses a voltage rectifier I belive its three wire two come from the magneto the other will be the batt charging wire as I recall the red motor 18 hp was in and around 18 amp charge or so,I owned two magnums in my time they were very stout and dependable the one issue I had was the wimpy mechanical fuel pump it didn't do well sucking up fuel from the low tank as those motors usually in the lawn and garden applications have to draw that far Amazon low pressure electric pump mounted under the seat really helped it out just a thought.NCT

Thank you, North Country! I will do that.

After I put the 2 new 21x11x8 22 Mag tires I had on, they?re actually shorter than the original tires by an inch or more. I don?t think I will have any issues with the height. I need to pull the tracks off of my Max and test fit them on the Argo and see if there will be an issue with clearance against the tub. I will have to make an extension for the tracks though since they were built to fit the 6x6.

+ Reply to Thread