part # for Dayco belt 980 bigfoot

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: part # for Dayco belt 980 bigfoot

I have a 980 with the original Briggs I/C 18hp engine. There is not a belt made by anyone any longer that will fit it. Your best option is to remount the engine one inch further back and then you can find a belt. I'm at this stage but have held off thinking i might just put in a vanguard.

Hey Jerry,

Have you checked the Dayco and Gates websites for the entire list of belt dimensions? They have a really wide variety. There are belts all the way up to 56". I think I remember Richard Clarke telling me that the original belts were 52".

Hey Turner,

If all else fails, just get a cloth tape measure and measure around the outside edge of your engine clutch and T-20 clutch. You will need to subtract a little from this. (.25-.5 inch). You can compare this with the The world's most trusted name in belts, hoses & hydraulics | Gates Corporation website where they have inside dimensions of the belts listed. It is not an exact science and you may have to play with it, but you are looking for 1" deflection when the belt is installed.
    Hammers should have warning labels.

Hey, Turner;

I have two numbers for you, but you may find that they're both discontinued like Jerry says. The one that came on the machine is a Goodyear #1930V491 and the one on it now (I had it here and don't know where I got it) is a Salsbury #704084.

Hope this helps.
    Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

The Gates parts interchange listed the Gates equivalent on the Salsbury one as: TR24400

Thanks Don

Cool. Thanks for crossing it. I don't think I'll keep the flat twin, but if I do I can at least get a new belt. I'm going to put the engine on a slide so you can adjust it instead of letting it get real loose and then replacing it.
    Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

I can't find that in a cross reference how did you do it?

I went to the gates website, The world's most trusted name in belts, hoses & hydraulics | Gates Corporation and used their parts interchange feature in the power transmission section. The first # did not show up but the second one did. However, it was listed as a truck belt??? But it did list the outside circumference as 40" or so. Even if this was not the proper variable speed belt, Dayco and Gates have quite a few snowmobile belts in this range, it would just be a little trial and error.

I think that truck belt may be a serpentine belt. There is a belt that will fit but the engine needs to be moved back just one inch for it to give a good fit.

Salisbury 704084 is the correct belt but it is unavailable, the next closest belt is 2" longer and this is why the engine needs to be moved back by 1".

Hey Jerry,

You are probably right about that truck belt. Could anyone get me the outside circumference of that original 980 belt?? I will look at all of the belt manufacturers and see if anything matches up. The have SO many belts available I can't imagine that someone doesn't make one that would work. And going a little tighter than stock may not hurt. Anyways, I just think it would be good for future reference for any new members with a 980 that come here looking for info. This website was invaluable (still is) for me when I was lost in the initial stages of getting my Hustler going.

Thanks.

I'll measure mine tomorrow. It is sort of hard to get off with the exhaust going out the side and the clutch is very close to the tub.

I'm wanting to change the tensioners and I have a 950 to rebuild this week. How are the experimental tensioners holding up?

+ Reply to Thread