part # for Dayco belt 980 bigfoot

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: part # for Dayco belt 980 bigfoot

Great in some cases, not good in others. When you get ready to do them, let me know and I will post some pics of the final version. I changed the locations of the front ones, they work awesome and you can install those without removing the frame. The back ones work well also but are a real knuckle buster to get in place.

And I still need to come up with something for the drive chains. I may start looking at some serpentine belt tensioners off of a Chevy. I am thinking you could use the strut channel nut on one end, and an idler sprocket on the other.
    Hammers should have warning labels.

Exclamation A cool tensioner idea !

As luck would have it, a good friend of mine stopped by this weekend. He is a machine shop guy and had 6x6 for past 15 years, he has designed a "floating" tensioner for all the chains . Its basicly a spring shackle with (don't remember the proper name) that tough plastic at top and bottom, you take remove a bolt and roller off the "shackle" and slip it over both sides of the chain ( top and bottom, chain will look like a figure 8 ) and reinstall the bolt into the slotted hole and take your hand and "pull" the slack out of the chain and tighten the bolt. The amount of gap in the "shackle" tensioner needs to be short enough for it not to climb over the sprockets in forward or rev. as it rides up and down the chain. He said the ran this on a 950 Hustler for over 8 years with NO TROUBLE it sound like this would be the bomb and way too simple, he even install a 650cc bike engine and they did their job. I gotta try them on my as soon as I srounge up some of that bad boy plastic
    Thanks
    Ty Turner

870-818-1315
    tyturnersoffroad@yahoo.com

JESUS ROCKS

if you give me the specifics(year,serial# ect i can prob lookup the argo # and dimensions from my parts manual.EG.my 78 techumse 16hp single ,argo#125-25,1 3/16 wide x 45 3/4 O.C. the dimensions maybe more helpfull than the Argo #as i havent found a cross referance for argo other than the ski doos they made.HTH
    You never know till you try it

For the teflon you need, just go to the dollar store and get a cutting board.
    Hammers should have warning labels.

well I really wanted some a bit thicker than that, but since they don't wear that much maybe that would be ok..... have you ever seen this floating tensioner design before ??
    Thanks
    Ty Turner

870-818-1315

JESUS ROCKS

The description sounds like this:

Quote Originally Posted by jerrynuss View Post
    The description sounds like this:

yep, thats pretty much how it loks, my buddy said he ran them for year without issue..... BTW I guess I desvribed it good huh!
    Thanks
    Ty Turner

870-818-1315

JESUS ROCKS

They look easy to make with a couple pieces of angle iron, plastic from a cutting board and a couple of bolts and nuts. Just notch the plastic so they stay in the groove. They would not need to be very wide just enough to get past the chain and bolts pulling the pieces together.

Anyone know if this set-up will rob any power? It just looks to me like it may take more power away from the wheels than a simple slider or idler sprocket.
    Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

Jerrynuss ,

This looks like it would be very easy to build . You said it was basically a "spring shackle" , so does this mean that hooked springs were used on either side of this chain adjuster you mentioned ? If so , the chain would always have the tension it needed ?
    Last edited by mudbug3; 09-21-2008 at 11:59 PM.

+ Reply to Thread