part # for Dayco belt 980 bigfoot

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: part # for Dayco belt 980 bigfoot

Don,
    I don't think it would have to be very tight. Remember the older Argo style that used a couple of coil springs that pulled two sliders together. It was mounted but these could float on the chain.

I found a link:

Chain Tensioners

jerrynuss,

Ok, now I know what the free floating chain adjuster looks like that you posted about . Do you set the tension on this chain adjuster by tighting allen head screws , and this puts tension on the top and bottom chain ? If so , does it then slide back and forth until it finds the loosest section on the chain ?
    Last edited by mudbug3; 09-22-2008 at 02:14 AM.

jerrynuss ,

Exellent pic jerry . Does this free floating adjuster need no adjustment once you install it ?

It is like a big zip tie, push down on the upper block and pull up on the ties. Cut off the excess while leaving some to grab onto for adjusting later. I saw another design where a person uses two blocks and with channels for the chains and two grooves that a person uses the thick heavy duty zip ties to squeeze the blocks together.

jerrynuss ,

If this free floating chain adjuster works as planned ,,this would be the answer to the Hustler chain tensioner problems .

I have been thinking about trying the Snap Idle tensioners on the drive chain from the T-20. I even spoke with one of their engineers when researching chain tensioners. There is a foot per minute speed limitation on those tensioners....but I did not take the time to figure out if we would exceed that???? However, the engineer did say he had heard of them being used on AATV's with no problems.

I did post some updated pics of the front chain tensioners in mine. So far so good. I have not adjusted them at all after 2 all day rides with Mudbug. Also posted some new pics of my cheap and easy T-20 hold downs.

DSC00037 pictures from outdoors photos on webshots
    Hammers should have warning labels.

George sent in a Dayco part number list so you can cross reference numbers and sizes. I put it in the Articles section here: http://www.6x6world.com/forums/gener...ive-belts.html

Thanks George!

BTW, I talked to JPSwift tonight on the phone and he took his original 980 belt up to Buffalo Bearing and they matched it up exactly. As soon as he gets it this week, we will have an exact part# to compare to. But there is for sure at least 1 belt manafacturer out there.
    Hammers should have warning labels.

+ Reply to Thread