Argo 8x8

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Argo 8x8

Argo 8x8

Does anyone know the history of changes that have been made to the Argo 8x8. I'm looking at an older model that is probably a 1978? It has the hood with the scoop that says ARGO. It is a barn find. Original tires with great tread and a 17HP Tecumseh. Perfect body. It has the 20" Runamucks ? Is that the smaller Runamuck and can it take the larger ones? It comes with tracks also. The axles look to be 1" but I didn't measure them. Is this a completely different beast than the Response or can it accept the newer stuff?

I have an 1981 8x8 that has the hood scoop and the argo name in it. I have the 16 hp tecumseh. The 20" runamucks are the old ones and they do not make them any more. They have been replaced by the 22's and they fit on mine. The runamucks are very pricey you have a few options to replace them that are less money, I went with Duro HF 243.

http://usera.imagecave.com/moosecaller/IMG_0507.jpg

Have you compared your 8x8 to a newer model? What are the differences and when were they made?

Chuck from PA (evil8x8) has a mid-eighties Argo-8 with the flat Kohler twin. You might want to contact him to begin contrasting differences: what his has/doesn't compared to your prospect.

Is the hoodscope there to clear the valve cover on the OHC Techumseh?

~m

I haven't looked at it that close. I checked it out last year. Yesterday I stopped to see if it was still there. The guy says it runs good , but idles too high and grinds gears when shifting. It is all original and super clean. I think it would be great for the wife and kids.

Grinds gears?

Idles too high?

Sounds like a big pile of junk to me. Maybe I'd better go take a look at it to make sure you're not getting ripped off. (?) I can be there tonight...gimme a phone number...

From what I understand, pre-Frontier transmissions had the straight-cut gears like the T-20, so there has to be a little grinding before the gears mesh. How often do we wait for the driven clutch to stop COMPLETELY? You probably already know this...

Mrs. D and the kids would look great trailing the Max IV in their station wagon!

Jon Hoath can probably tell you all about them, Lance.

+ Reply to Thread