Briggs & Stratton, the way it should be

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Briggs & Stratton, the way it should be

Roger
    I've got a little more than a drag strip motor, When I talked to Al Hodge, I told him what I was putting it in, and what I wanted it to do. I don't know what cam he put in it, But I can idle @ 2000 rpm trail riding all day, no problem, but when I put the hammer down it's bye bye. I've got the best of both worlds. It never over heats or loads up. I'm extremely happy with Al's work. Last time I talked to Al Hodge he was working on a turbo V-twin, have you heard any thing about that? I'm ready for one!

Havn't heard anything about a turbo twin, Alan, but I don't keep current with him. How does the drivetrain stay together in that Attex? Much less a turbo version That is one haulin' machine, can't stop watching the 'doughnut' video. And the suspension work you're building looks first class.

My comments about his cams.. as far as I know he only had one profile. Matt's Bigfoot had a 18/20 hp block Bandelero engine and it didn't have enough low end to make it up into the power band. Al sent him a stock cam as a replacement. But that was years ago. A 23 has a lot more going for it to start with. Al Hodge has one componenent that all hard core guys need. Billet roller rocker arms. The Vanguard has a few weak components, being built as a stationary workhorse to run all day @ 3600. Replace them, drop in the good stuff and hold on!
    Last edited by Roger S; 08-16-2007 at 05:53 PM.

Roger,

Well I had spoken to G.H. and he mentioned that the 16 might actually be ok because from what he saw from the videos you sent, he thought that a shorter stroke engine would work well. I'm not sure I understand what he meant by that could you explain? Anyhow I decided to play around with the 16 for the reasons you mentioned above about everything transferring.
    Also I assume the engine is lighter than the 20 hp so if PSI on the ground is being considered that would be a plus(I wonder when Fred S. will find this site!).

I will not have the exhaust finished tonight I went to pick up some clamping collars for the RLV silencers I had ordered but they won't be in until tomorrow.

I did dual exhausts with 1' O.D. pipe for 16 " then opened up to 1.25" O.D. for 12 " to exit the machine. I did a preliminary test today and with the silencers it has a nice rumble without being obnoxious. Kind of like a mini Harley! It definitely is a power improvement.

Mike
    Last edited by micmac; 08-16-2007 at 09:55 PM.

Oh you are going pro, with the RLV stuff! If you do take the heads off we'll clean up and blend the ports and valve pockets.

I sent George some Badlands footage so he could see what his student did.. his comment:
    ---------
    "I am covered up but I did lay down on the sofa and watch it. You guys are insane. Looks like fun. You can hear yours in the background just a ripping away. Dang sure sounds good. Whats your buddies think. I REALLY ENJOYED it myself thanks alot.

George Herrin
    BTMRA President
    2005/2004 BP National Points Champ
    2004 National Driver of the Year
    2003 SP National Points Champ
    Herrin Mower Sports Racing Team/Fat Boyz Racing

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming . . "WOW ---What a Ride!"
    -------

Wonder what he'll have to say about Whipper's video

I have a lot to learn about 4 stroke Briggs performance engine, but I would like to thank you guys for posting up all this great information. I would love to tweak my 18HP Briggs a little bit in the near future. I might also consider using Vanguards in more of my machines. I have a Briggs flat twin in my Hustler, a Vanguard in the Maxes, and a 440cc two stroke JLO/Rockwell in my Attex racer, so I have a variety of motors, but if I will be a lot of reading about building up these Vanguards.......please forgive me if I ask a lot of questions about this because Im new to the 4 stroke performance world. Thanks!
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

You can go lurk in the flathead forums at heymow.com - Lawn Mower Racing Forum - Index , there's a resurgence of interest in the old flathead twins. I guess it's the only thing left they havn't built.

+ Reply to Thread