ABS Body Work

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: ABS Body Work

ABS Body Work

I did some research on the type of plastic used on the Body of my 6x6, and I believe it to be ABS. It this a fact? I have a plastic Welding kit I will use, unless I have better suggestions.
    Also, anyone know where I can find the Rubber slip-on trim that fits on the edges of the plastic? So far I haven't been able to find any parts for the body. I can refab the frame if I need, it is the nit-picky stuff is sometimes hard to find it seems.
    Ci Vis Pacem, Para Bellum!

your best bet for ABS is to find some donor ABS in the same color. cut it into small pieces and put them in a quart paint can with acetone. mine took about a week to make an abs paste... just keep adding ABS or acetone to get the thickness you want and mix it daily. once the paste is ready, brush the acetone on the body all around the area to be repaired. try to keep it wet for about half an hour. then work the ABS goo into the repair area like bondo. it will dry hard to touch in a few hours but takes a few weeks to really cure. try to apply it in thin coats so it doesn't bubble as the acetone evaporates from the plastic. once it dries out real good you can sand it down and the color match will be pretty close
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

If ya use MEK... Methy Ethyl Ketone and plastic shavings it ought to melt and make a glue overnight. You can buy MEK by the quart at home depot in the paint dept. Ide start with a full can of shavings and add a 1/4 can of MEK .It should start melting in a few min. MIX and mix and mix. then put a lid on it good. It will smell like pvc pipe glue. Flammable till dry!

Helpfull

Thanks guys. Very helpful.

Plastic

I thought Hustlers were either HDPE or fiberglass. Mine is HDPE not ABS. I am using a plastic welder and it seems stronger than the original plastic around it. Just my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by jpmustblaze View Post
    I thought Hustlers were either HDPE or fiberglass. Mine is HDPE not ABS. I am using a plastic welder and it seems stronger than the original plastic around it. Just my two cents.
    Hmm. I know its not Fiberglass. It is a 1969 though, I sure thought it was ABS. Any way to know for sure?

To find out if it is abs,put a drop of acetone in a spot that wont matter and it will soften it up alittle and get kinda sticky if abs. If it is a poly body then it wont do a thing to it. What is your machine?

What is your machine?
    I didnt see your avatar said hustler.

If you dont have acetone your wife fingernail polish remover will work for the test.

I've done a fair amount of welding on my Hustler, posted some pics, etc in the gallery.
    It should be HDPE if a Hustler........if so, welding is really your only good option.
    I'm told the best material for welding repairs to HDPE is uncolored material, like, a coffee can lid. opaque, not clear.
    The colors, some more that other, can interfere somewhat with welding adhesion.......Although, I've had fine success, I was told this by and expert.

good luck,
    Henry
    Henry:
    I don't know where I'm going, but, I'm on my way...........

ABS

Great advise here. The acetone test works, I know the manual that came with my plastic welder said to burn the material to test the plastic. Certain smells and color of flame will tell you what the material is, but I know for sure now my Hustler is HDPE.

+ Reply to Thread