18 hp Vanguard Idle Problems....any advice?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 18 hp Vanguard Idle Problems....any advice?

Route6x6.com - 6 and 8 wheel ATV how to's - Vanguard Carburetor Cleaning

If you had all this trouble with trash in your gas tank I imagine sooner or later you will have to get into the carburetor itself. This How-To Guide Is from Richard Relics it's a well written and easy to follow instructional guide cleaning the carburetor on the engine. Although this guide is written for a max. We followed these instructions on my Max and solved a similar problem. These smaller gasoline engines take smaller Jets, air passageways so it doesn't take but just a tiny piece of grit in the wrong place to get lots of problems.

Overlooked by that guide is the idle mixture screw, which needs to be removed and cleaner sprayed through. It's on the side of the carb facing the pull start. Compressed air along with a strong cleaner, like Berryman Chemtool works good. The plastic cap mentioned earlier is on this screw. Pull it off and toss it. It's an anti tamper device that limits your ability to adjust the idle mixture right. After cleaning, turn it in till it seats gently, then turn outward 1.25 or so turns. Adjust from there at idle.
    To Invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. (Thomas Edison)

I left it out of my original post because I had to double check that I was right first, but Ken had already cleaned the Carb last week when he replaced the filter and pump. He told me today that he doubts anything has made it past the filter and I do too. So, hopefully if I just work from the filter to the tank I'll get it resolved. I'll defintely keep the link to that guide for future reference though!

Thanks again,
    Andy

+ Reply to Thread