Shifting Gears in a Max II

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Shifting Gears in a Max II

Shifting Gears in a Max II

Hi. I was playing with the max in the yard today trying to get used to the sticks. It was fun but it sure tears up the yard. I seem to be having trouble getting into Forward and reverse from neutral. It seems as if the clutches never stop spinning so when I try to shift it wants to grind. Am I not useing enough finess? or is there a trick I need to know? Is the torque converter need adjustment? I feel like if this continues I will do some damage.

Arlen

Quote Originally Posted by katoom08 View Post
    Hi. I was playing with the max in the yard today trying to get used to the sticks. It was fun but it sure tears up the yard. I seem to be having trouble getting into Forward and reverse from neutral. It seems as if the clutches never stop spinning so when I try to shift it wants to grind. Am I not useing enough finess? or is there a trick I need to know? Is the torque converter need adjustment? I feel like if this continues I will do some damage.

Arlen
    all t20 do: it some times it shifts easy some times it a dog .
    1999 max 2 18 b&s 22 tires custom . new max iv 23 k 26 i/n tires brown . ht cable promark winch . new toy 1972 attex st400 400ccjlo and she will be bad . ( the frog ) if it don't float with out you getting wet . don't bring it ! R.I.P sage rogers 4 11 09 . you can't fix stuped !!!!! raceone 3 .)

Thanks RDR !

I was afraid I was doing damage. It seems like the belt should stop turning so the gears would mesh.

i don't even have an operational machine with a t-20 yet, but mike told me a litle trick a few weeks back when i was running his max 2. use 1 hand to slap both laterals back while using the other to shift. you basically want the laterals to be bouncing back and forth while trying to shift. this will allow the gears to keep turning and get lined up, but slow the drums down enough that they find their happy place at a lower speed and with a lot less grinding
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by racerone3 View Post
    i don't even have an operational machine with a t-20 yet, but mike told me a litle trick a few weeks back when i was running his max 2. use 1 hand to slap both laterals back while using the other to shift. you basically want the laterals to be bouncing back and forth while trying to shift. this will allow the gears to keep turning and get lined up, but slow the drums down enough that they find their happy place at a lower speed and with a lot less grinding
    thanks race i should have gone into more detel . robbie
    1999 max 2 18 b&s 22 tires custom . new max iv 23 k 26 i/n tires brown . ht cable promark winch . new toy 1972 attex st400 400ccjlo and she will be bad . ( the frog ) if it don't float with out you getting wet . don't bring it ! R.I.P sage rogers 4 11 09 . you can't fix stuped !!!!! raceone 3 .)

When I got my Max II I was discouraged about the shifting until I received a few tips.My machine only had 28 hours on it and I was told until fully broke in it would be cumbersome.Beyond that try not to shift immediately after turn but rather when the machine has been going straight for a foot or so,when shifting to forward pull both sticks back with one hand,maybe a rev or two on the engine then as pushing the shift lever down release the sticks to spring forward and it should smoothly drop in forward.When shifting to reverse,pull both sticks back a fair distance and while holding them back put shift lever in reverse.Sometimes when shifting into either forward or reverse it seems necessary to give the engine a couple of revs and going in reverse seems easier if while holding levers back,pull back slightly more on one than the other,I pull back more on the right than the left,seems to work for me.The T-20 is what it is,it seems it is we operators that have to get synchronized a little.
    Eldon

Thanks for the advice Race and Eldon. I will just have to force myself to practice more !!

Arlen

Shifting

Check to see if the engine clutch is open all the way when the engine is idling. If not there may be a problem with the clutch or the engine idle speed may be too high.

In my RI Buffalo I had a heckuva time shifting until I installed the "easy shift" kit from Richard's Relics.

After the installing shift kit, shifting went from "a battle" to "hot knife through butter"...

For the Buffalo, I believe the kit was $65.

Welcome to Richard's Relics Parts for ATV's

chris

+ Reply to Thread