Getting Ready to buy New Argo Frontier!

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Getting Ready to buy New Argo Frontier!

Outboard Motor question...

Hi All,
    I'm getting ready to buy New Argo Frontier!
    Question... is there a certain shaft length I need to look for on an Outboard Motor for the Frontier?
    Last edited by Silverbullet75; 08-17-2007 at 02:53 PM.

Im not 100% sure but if I remember correctly you can use any 9.9HP or less outboard as long as it is classified as a "long shaft." I would imagine the shaft needs to be pretty long because the outboard sits high up on the back of the machine, compared to mounting it lower like on a rowboat or a dinghy.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

I'm sure an Argo owner on here knows and will chime in soon. I, like Jeff, assumed it would need to be longer than a regular outboard but after seeing Argo's factory mount, it might not be.

By the way, welcome to the forums and be sure to post some pictures of your Argo when you get it and let us know how you like it.

hello all
    new to your sight, and yes Jeff is right you need a long shaft, none of the
    instructions say how long. I paid the extra cost for the mount an it just gets
    in the way. and dont forget to get the bilge pump. I tryed sinking mine in the shollow end of a lake, just to familurize my self with the tipping point, got tired before i got it to tip. Sorry i dont have eny good Pic's of SS Froggy,
    Can tell you to be careful couse the Frontier climbs like a mounten goat and
    you might find your self on top of a mounten trying to figure out how to get down like i did.

Welcome to the site and thanks for sharing. I loved the mountain story

Thanks for the info!
    I'm now wondering whether anyone has considered using a jet ski's drivetrain including motor for propulsion?
    I really have no idea if it would all fit in a 6x6, (still haven't received mine).. but in theory... shouldn't it work?
    ---JIM---

Quote Originally Posted by RKlingborg View Post
    Can tell you to be careful couse the Frontier climbs like a mounten goat and
    you might find your self on top of a mounten trying to figure out how to get down like i did.
    2008 Argo Avenger EFI 8x8
    2001 Argo Bigfoot 6x6

2007 Frontier

I purchaced the factory outboard motor bracket from Argo and also bought myself a Nissan 4 stroke 3.5 longshaft outboard motor .
    Problem is with the windsheild,winch and bushguard weight the front of the argo down low in the water and bringing the rear of the argo up high.
    I started out with sitting in the front seat but its was no good the prop was almost out of the water.
    I sat in the back of the argo and it was a bit better but still not much of the shaft in the water .

I was thinking of taking my outboard motor bracket to a machine shop and have it lowered by about 4 or 5 inches.

Any one have this problem? and if so did you come up with any ideals how to fix it?

thanks for your time
    Gary

Argo Frontier motor

I bought a 2008 Argo Frontier earlier this year and for lake and tidal water use also purchased a Minn Kota electric motor which moves the Argo along just fine without problem of overpowering associated with gas engines. If you are not planning to use on large open water you may want to consider an electric motor. Motor shafts are longer than many gas engines as well. I have plenty of power for large lakes and tidal water marsh use, etc. Get the Argo first before you buy the motor then you won't have as much anxiety about length of motor shaft since you can measure distance from mounting bracket to water.

+ Reply to Thread