Just the Parts, Please.

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Just the Parts, Please.

Just the Parts, Please.

I want to build a custom 8X8 that I can drive while seated in my electric wheelchair. I may get flamed for it, but I'm not going amphibious. I don't feel safe going out in the water strapped to a 325 pound wheelchair. I had a close call just sitting on a lake-side dock and don't want to go there again.

I'm interested in the chassis, motor, transmission, and other parts but don't need the body. The only detail I'm sure of is that I want the motor mounted in the back.

Any advice on getting just what I need. Buying a used one and rebuilding it seems to make the most sense, but which model, type, etc, should I be looking for?

Thanks.

i would recomend a model with the T-20 transmission, for durability, parts availability... if your looking for a used machine with the t-20 and a rear engine, then your looking for an Attex, Hustler, or a max (max is still in production) Attex made a 8x8 for the military as a tank trainer but they are pretty hard to come by. otherwise none of those brands were made in an 8 wheeler. if your are doing an entire custom machine, adding an axle won't be hard... just more parts you have to gather.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Why do you want the motor in the back? All Argo's have the motor in the front. As said in a previous post, an Argo 8x8 would be perfect because the engine and trans are in the front, and being that you aren't concerned with having it amphibious, you could have a ramp in the rear that could take you right up to the controls with really nothing in the way. I think an Argo 8x8 would require the least amount of modification. Good luck with your project.

8x8

The Avenger or Conquest could be fitted for you needs. Removing the center line fuel tank and seat like Evil said will move you right to the hand controls. Bracing will have to be relocated. Splitting the center tank and installing two smaller tanks may be be way to go. This would make for a better center of balance.
    Just some thoughts.

I understand the amphibious part, that may be pushing it bit. Wish you luck on the build. Keep us posted on your decision.

Lewis

racerone,

Thanks for the advice. I was wondering how the different makes varied as I've seen both front and rear mounted motors. Additional parts are really the biggest difference between the 6X6 and 8X8. I'm still learning.

evil,

I want the engine in back because I had planned to back in between the front wheels, up a ramp, or on to a platform that would raise to floor level.

Ramping up from the back is a good idea. I'm 54" tall seated, and need an area 30" wide and 52" long to park in. I figured an 8X8 would have the extra room I need.

lewis,

Thanks for the input. It all helps.

I'm looking for a solution to get power wheelchair users (or just me) off-road in a safe yet effective way. There are some vehicles made in Europe but nothing in the US. I have some engineers to bounce ideas off of, but haven't found what I'm looking for yet. I was pleasantly surprised to find the skid-steer mechanics of these AATVs simple and effective.

My 2 cents

Hi Tinodesis:
    I think a rear ramp may be easier if for no other reason than the fact that the laterals would be in your way if entering from the front. You could put a quick release of some sort, I'm sure. But the throttle side stick may be tricky with the throttle cable tieing it down, and making the release low enough for the chair to clear but high enough to easily reach from the chair may be tricky. I wouldn't count out the body, I would think you'll still want the front, sides, bottom and bottom of the back to keep dirt and mud spray out of the machine and off of you. And with a rear ramp that lowers/raises Landing Craft style, that could have a cool and unique look to it. Good luck and keep us posted!
    Attex 295 Wild Wolf: My Runner
    Attex 252? Colt? Racer 80%: My Racer to be..... SOMEDAY
    Attex Super Chief - Sold.

i'm not at all biased on what machine to use... i have an argo, an attex, and i'm working on getting a max, but i think the argo would be the easiest to modify. i just measured mine, and the width inside the tub is only 30" so you would have to do a little work there, but a fold down ramp from the rear would be really easy to build, and you wouldn't have to mess with changing the controlls. plus argo makes 8x8 so the frame and drivetrain wouldn't really have to be changed. juts my thoughts. keep us posted on your build, and good luck with whatever route you take
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

tub size

I'll measure the inside of the Avenger and see if it is a lilttle wider. The trailering size changed when i went form a Conquest to a Avenger. This may be due to tire size.

Lewis

And wider wheels, 7 > 10"
    To Invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. (Thomas Edison)

Thanks to all for the feedback.

I'm going to look for a used Avenger. I need to look at any Argo I can find in person before I buy one. The 2008 750 EFI sure looks sweet, but a used one will be easier on the wallet.

The Boeing CH-47 Chinook helicopter has a ramp with a sliding tongue. The tongue can be kept in the ramp or extended to completely seal the cabin. I've wrenched on them and have a pretty clear idea of how I might copy the design.

I will certainly post pictures if I get the project started.

+ Reply to Thread