Dan considers the new Hydro Traxx about to be released

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dan considers the new Hydro Traxx about to be released

I have been reading about and talking to the folks that build the Hydro Traxx. What a machine! It’s available with a 35 horse Briggs. A four cylinder water cooled Nissan or a turbo diesel. They are about to release a new model with a commercial hydraulic system that is about 30% more efficient. It offers even more ground clearance than the current models. It can be fitted with mud eating outlaws up to 29.5 inches tall and has all the power needed to turn those big tires. Since the wheels are turned by hydraulics there is no maintenance or adjustments to be made other than changing a filter once in awhile. In the woods tree limbs and other falling debris cannot work there way down into your chains and drive system. The machine is already an excellent swimmer but if that is not enough It can be fitted with an out board motor or a soon to be available jet drive system! (Wouldn’t that be a kick!!!) One of the best features is its ability to spin the right tires in reverse while spinning the left tires forward. I could use this feature over and over again to simply spin away from problems or to be able to attack a mud hole at a different angle. This means running into trees or logs under the water would not present a real problem, I could simply spin a way from the obstacle and attack it at a better angle. I already know the machines are expensive, but they look like they could do anything! Does anyone have any experience with these machines and could you offer your thoughts. THX DAN

Dan I called Hydro Traxx one day and asked for a video. This is my asssesment of the Hydro traxx from my veiwing of the video:

1. It is a well built machine. In fact its over built compared to any other amphib on the market thats available to civilians

2. When opperated at the "advised" rpm for both torque and Hp its about 3,500 rpms. From the audio sound of the Hydro Traxx in action, at this rpm, it very loud!
    This would become very tiresome after while I think. But,,maybe you could wear some shooters head phones to deaden the constant noise of the sunstrand hydrolic punp?

3. It is very wide when compared to an Argo or Max amphib. On video I,ve watched it rocked hard side to side, to try to capsize it ,and it would not capsize at all. This makes it very good at preventing roll over, when crossing a hill side ways, or when doing a 180 turn on a hill to change directions and drive down. On the video I,ve seen it turned around 180 on about a 35 degree hill and then back up bacwards,and then do another 180 degree turn, and climb the same hill side fowards too. The hydrolic wheel motors are very large and take up a lot of space, so this makes for a wide amphib. This would limit you to riding on Jeep roads, fire roads, or wide open land both wet and dry.

4. You can use a quick burst of speed when attacking a hill, but, this is going to be slightly slower than a Max or Argo, because the hydrolic wheel motors wont allow the sudden foward momentum of a chain drive.. This only becomes a problem when climbing a very muddy hill side, and you need fast momentum, and also wheel spin, to climb the hill. That just means its winching time right?

5. Having one bank of wheels that will run in one driection and the other in the opposite direction is a big plus. This would be great! I could think of many trail situations that I,ve been on in my Max IV, that this feature would have come in very handy.

There are several very good postings on Route 6x6 about the hydro Traxx.
    Look under my favorite atv ( I think ) Its not hard to find though ,on that website. Bubba Hunt is a guide in Alaska and he has some very good write ups his Hydro Traxx .
    Last edited by mudbug3; 08-21-2007 at 03:21 PM.

Thanks Mudbug. I was really considering putting out the twenty grand to get one of these machines but it sounds like there are more negatives than positives here. I was checking out Whippers Attex with suspension this morning and realized that I could probably use a system simular to this on my Max and get another three or four inches of ground clearance. I think whippers got a great idea there but I believe I would use and system like the suspension on a 800 outlander. This offers you a system with out the lower a arms which would slow you down in water and mud. With the Can-am system the only thing the mud see's is the drive shaft since the shock and control arms are placed above the axle. I am sure Can-Am wants to take credit for this great design but it goes all the way back to the 1936 Volks wagon and has been used by off road racers for years. Man I love the suspension idea, but it to would make my Max a lot wider, but man it would be unstoppable with all six tires kissing the ground over mud, rocks and log piles that are so common down here. It would also be more stable and you could have an absolute blast sliding around in the thing. I'd have to have two sets of tires. One for Joy rides, sliding and playing, and my Swamp Foxes for the serious off road stuff. Your information here has made my decision pretty easy. Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by mightymaxIV; 08-19-2007 at 04:31 PM.

Dan, counter rotating tires has already been done on a Max II ,and also on a Max IV. I,ve been told that it is easier to do this to a Max II ,than to a Max IV, because of how each one mounts to the frame. The man who did this, wrote a very postive write up on Route 6x6. The T-20 is actually two transmissions in one housing. He has pictures posted on how to do this on Route 6x6.

The negative downside to this modification :

1. You need a lot of rpms. About 2,500-2,800 rpms to get yourself into the counter rotating mode with a Max IV. Even with the " red spring" kit,, I,ve been told by the man who did this.

2. This puts a lot of stress on the frame where the T-20 mounts up. The man who did this had to box the T-20 in with metal, to stop the twisting force put on it ,caused by the higher rpms to start counter rotating the tires. Due to the twisting force placed upon the T-20,, he broke off the bolts where it mounts to the frame. His Max IV started making a "poping noise" when he changed directions, and this alerted him the problem. He was able to limp home and fix the problem, with more reinforcements made around the T-20

I think though,,as easy as the Max IV is to modify, this problem could be solved.

1. Take the stock Max IV frame out and make a new frame similar to the square frame of an Argo

With the twisting force of the T-20 in mind, make extra gussets all the way around the T-20 where it mounts. Also fabricate two metal straps front and rear over the top of T-20. Box the T-20 in really good with metal brackets ,and this twisting problem should be solved.

The positive side to this modification.

1. When you are on a hill side and need to reach for some thing,,its very easy to put one side of the T-20 in foward or reverse, to stop yourself from rolling backwards. One side of the T-20 will always easily drop in. No more rocking back and forth, like on the stock T-20 situation.

2. You can counter rotate your tires on a trail to better position yourself.

3. Having the ability to counter rotate your tires is very handy, when both sides of your wheels are in deep, muddy ruts.

Mudbug I would be affraid of reliabilty problems. If you watched my videos you probably know that I go into absolutely crazy places, and if the machine broke down on me I would have a really tough time walking out of some of this swamp. On one occasion my little dog jumped out of the Max into the soft mud. The Mud was so soft she couldn't move, she looked at me like "Dad, what did I do?" I had to lean over get my hand under her and pull her back in before she sunk any further. For a moment I thought she would go under the mud before I could get to her.

Dan,

If you want an amphib with the ability to rotate its tires in opposite directions at the same time, the Hydro Traxx is the best game in town!

Old bear hunter ( his handle on Route 6x6 ) has had his Hydro traxx for about 6 yrs now I think, and the only problem he says,, is that he got stuck one time ,really bad, in the out backs of Alaska, and walked out of a track on one side of the Hydro Traxx,,but was later able to put it back on.

He says in the past, I,ve tried Max,s, Hustlers,and also Argo amphibs, through out the years that I,ve lived in Alaska , but by far, the very best and also the most reliable amphib that I,ve ever owned, has been the Hydro Traxx. Once we switched to the Hydro Traxx line of amphibs, we,ve never used any other amphibious vehicle, , because they have been darn near maintence free. Just change the oil of the motor and filter. We do have to change out the hydrolic oil going to the wheel motors, but this is once in a great while though.

He also said, he has broken chains, replaced chains, replaced belts , and has had lots of maintence to do to these machines. It seemed they where always in the shop being fixed for something. Don,t get me wrong,,I like Argo,s, in fact, I love all amphibs, but until we found out about the Hydro Traxx line of amphibs, the Argo,s our company were using, spent too much time in the shop, for repairs.

In the commmercial outfit I work for, the amphibs we own get used a lot! I maintain my amphibs, but I,m hard on them and expect a lot out of them, when I,m using them as a hunting guide. With the Hydro Traxx though,,all I do is change the oil and filter when its time to.

As hard as I,ve been on this Hydro Traxx, its never once broke down on me.

He also posted this,, " I,m a hunting guide in Alaska, and I need an amphib that is large enough to carry all of the hunting gear of my clients, plus mine included. It has to be bullet proof enough to never brake down out in the remote places where I,m taking my clients to hunt. If this ever happens to a new hunting client,, its a deal breaker for sure! He will never trust me again as a hunting guide.

Also, if you brake down in the outbacks of alaska, this can be a matter of life or death. I would,nt trust my life, or the life of my clients, with any other amphib but the Hydro Traxx. In the 6 yrs I,ve owned it,,its been darn near maintence free, and I,ve been really hard on it.

He also posted this " having the ability to rotate each side of tires, in different directions , all at the same time, has gotten me out of situations that would have stuck any other skid steer amphib on the market
    Last edited by mudbug3; 08-21-2007 at 12:05 PM.

Thanks Mudbug

Mudbug you are making my decision harder and harder. The Folks at Hydro Traxx are in the process of moving there manufacturing facility to Tennesee. My plan is go up there and Really give these things the once over before I spend my hard earned coin. If they can do everything I want them to do I will sell my Max, then I will probably buy the biggest and the Bestest they have and that probably includes a jet pump!! The new Hydro coming out has a pump that is 30% more efficent than the old system. It is so good (I am told) that the 35 horse briggs will do the job of the old nissen 4 cylinder. I want to see how well this thing swims, since I spend so much time in the water. The wide track will be a big handicap in the swamp but I can live with that if it does everything else well, and that mostly means taking me into almost impossible places and getting me back, because this is what I am in to! The Idea of 29.5 inch tires really appeals to me since I know that ground clearance is a major part of getting through anything!The decision process continues. Any Hydro Traxx owners, your imput would be appreciated! THX

+ Reply to Thread