Bringing back the shine?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bringing back the shine?

Bringing back the shine?

I've seen on a few posts that guys are using acetone to bring back the shine on there abs bodies. What exactly is the process, I have a st 295 wild wolf so i'm assuming it's abs. Thanks for any help.

Hi,
    I just bought a 295 Wild Wolf also. Yes it is ABS. The best way to bring back the shine is to wet sand the body. There are a few post on this site and the Attex web site talking about how this is done. The best way I have found is to use a small 3" auto body air sander, Start out with 250 grit, then 600, and finish with 1,000 or 1,200 The more time you put into the project the beter it will look. I hope this helps,

Matt

thanks, that is a help. I'll review the posts on the subject. I'm probably more comfotable using a sander rather than acetone.

Hi:
    I did a little messing with the acetone method, but you need to sand the body to get any discoloring out first anyway, or it's permanently sealed in, and you will still want to wet sand at 1000 anyway. It may save some sanding time, but it doesn't avoid it and you need to prep carefully. Also, if any fibers come off the cloth you are using they fuse into the body. I've decided to use the sanding method on my Wolf.
    Attex 295 Wild Wolf: My Runner
    Attex 252? Colt? Racer 80%: My Racer to be..... SOMEDAY
    Attex Super Chief - Sold.

It sounds like I'm going to be spending lots of time with the random orbiting sander

i just did the upper half of my st400 in about an hour and a half. 3" d.a. sander, up to 500 grit. the 5" D.A. to 1200. some 3M polishing compound with a buffer and it looks pretty good. there are a few spots that could be better, but it will do for my purpose. i figure it would take most of a day to do a really nice job top to bottom, inside and out
    Last edited by racerone3; 11-01-2009 at 08:16 AM.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by racerone3 View Post
    there are a few spots that could be better, but it will do for my purpose
    If you're going fast enough, no one will notice.
    Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

x
    Last edited by racerone3; 11-19-2009 at 10:09 PM. Reason: post no longer relevant
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

sand blasting

i had a scrap of abs laying around from a 1st gen attex that was badly oxidized and stained. figured i'd try throwing it in the sand blaster to see how it would do on the hard to sand areas. holding the blast nozzle about 1 1/2' from the plastic, it did a pretty good job. in the pic just to the left of center you can see the result of getting too close. the heat produced burned the plastic badly.
    i'm going to try this with a small gravity fed blaster on the headlight area of the wild wolf
    Attached Images

Before shine.JPG When i received machine

Shine 1.JPG

top.JPG

Try some baking soda, heat is reduced.

Also when you are wet sanding i use a few drops of dish washing soap. You will be tired of sanding when this process is over

+ Reply to Thread