Biggest and Best Tires for a Max II

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Biggest and Best Tires for a Max II

Biggest and Best Tires for a Max II

I have a 1997 Max II with the 18hp B&S Vanguard.

I am currently running 22" rawhides on the old style rims (non-k rims), but am thinking about getting new tires and rims.

Here are my requirements:
    1. Tires must perform as good as the rawhides on land and water
    2. Would like some additional ground clearance, so taller than 22" tires
    3. I do not mind heating up the Max body and bending it to provide ground clearance (should be able to fit a 25" or 26" tire).
    4. Now where can I buy these rims and tires?

I have heard some folks are running low psi (0 to 1) and don't have a problem with popping a bead or tires spinning on the rim. What is this rim and tire setup?

Any downsides to running the taller tire?

Hi: Matt O.'s Beadlocks are supposed to be the best. Those are the only ones I have heard people saying they run 0psi without popping beads. Of course any tire/rim combo can be forced apart. I don't know the axle center to center clearance on a Max II, but your tire must be smaller than that, or they will rub each other.
    Attex 295 Wild Wolf: My Runner
    Attex 252? Colt? Racer 80%: My Racer to be..... SOMEDAY
    Attex Super Chief - Sold.

25" is the tallest you can go. The factory rims from Recreative Industries also offer a beadlock. These "k" rims can handle 0-1 psi fine as well. Being a '97 model you may already have these. Look in the gallery under tires and I have a picture of the rims and how to tell if they are beadlocks.

If you are wanting the same water speed you really only have two options. The 24" $$$ Frontier tires from Argo or the 25" Rawhide III's that are getting harder and harder to find.

The downside to taller tires: Less torque and more strain on axles and drivetrain.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    25" is the tallest you can go. The factory rims from Recreative Industries also offer a beadlock. These "k" rims can handle 0-1 psi fine as well. Being a '97 model you may already have these. Look in the gallery under tires and I have a picture of the rims and how to tell if they are beadlocks.

If you are wanting the same water speed you really only have two options. The 24" $$$ Frontier tires from Argo or the 25" Rawhide III's that are getting harder and harder to find.

The downside to taller tires: Less torque and more strain on axles and drivetrain.

I spoke with my local goodyear dealer yesterday about goodyear rawhide III's and since they are hard to produces they are charging 95.00 a tire!!

Richards relics has a mock copy of the rawhide III's for like $66.00 a tire. I would go that route if you want rawhides.

Hey Rajun,

Mike is right on the money about taller tires eating up horsepower. When I went to 25" tires on my Hustler, I had to gear it down 30% to get the machine to perform right.

IMO, Vampires are the best AATV tire out there, they will swim with V's facing forward, climb out of a muddy bank better than anything and mud with the best of them. HOWEVER; and this is also my opinion and worth about as much..I believe exerted psi is the most important factor in mud performance...even over ground clearance. Wider tires are what decreases your exerted psi, so if you found the widest 22" tires available, you would get the performance you are looking for without the horsepower loss and drivetrain stress. Vampire does make a 22x12.5-9 I believe, and I am sure there are other wide 22" tires out there.

The only two things you will gain are ground clearance and ride comfort with the taller tires, but it will cause other problems for you to deal with. If you were to have 22x12.5 tires vs. 25x12.5 tires in a bottomless mudhole, I don't think there would be a significant difference in performance since amphibs don't dig down to find the bottom like a quad, the goal is to stay on top....

I have MattO rims and run low pressure and really like them....great price too.
    Hammers should have warning labels.

[QUOTE=boncrshr;26425]Hey Rajun,

Mike is right on the money about taller tires eating up horsepower. When I went to 25" tires on my Hustler, I had to gear it down 30% to get the machine to perform right.

IMO, Vampires are the best AATV tire out there, they will swim with V's facing forward, climb out of a muddy bank better than anything and mud with the best of them. HOWEVER; and this is also my opinion and worth about as much..I believe exerted psi is the most important factor in mud performance...even over ground clearance. Wider tires are what decreases your exerted psi, so if you found the widest 22" tires available, you would get the performance you are looking for without the horsepower loss and drivetrain stress. Vampire does make a 22x12.5-9 I believe, and I am sure there are other wide 22" tires out there.

The only two things you will gain are ground clearance and ride comfort with the taller tires, but it will cause other problems for you to deal with. If you were to have 22x12.5 tires vs. 25x12.5 tires in a bottomless mudhole, I don't think there would be a significant difference in performance since amphibs don't dig down to find the bottom like a quad, the goal is to stay on top....

I have MattO rims and run low pressure and really like them....great price too.[/QUO don't know about that .
    1999 max 2 18 b&s 22 tires custom . new max iv 23 k 26 i/n tires brown . ht cable promark winch . new toy 1972 attex st400 400ccjlo and she will be bad . ( the frog ) if it don't float with out you getting wet . don't bring it ! R.I.P sage rogers 4 11 09 . you can't fix stuped !!!!! raceone 3 .)

I saw a Max II with Frontier tires and it was unstoppable in the mud and very fast for an AATV in the water. I was also impressed with all of the new Argos, that had the Frontier tires, capability in the mud and water.

Biggest and Best Tires for Max 11

I've got 25" tires on my Max11 and I believe that the taller tire not only gives more ground clearance but a better drive because of it's taller sidewall.It absorbs better the road,the impacts and the vibrations.Power wise get a stronger spring for the clutch.Instead of heating the plastic on my Max11 I made holes in the front on top of the tires and made some aluminum boxes pop riveted on the body and seal with a rubberize silicone.Behind the rims I've installed some 1/2" spacers which I made out of aluminum to push the tires outward.You need longer wheel studs for the spacers but it saves on trying to heat the tub.

Quote Originally Posted by MaximusII View Post
    I spoke with my local goodyear dealer yesterday about goodyear rawhide III's and since they are hard to produces they are charging 95.00 a tire!!

Richards relics has a mock copy of the rawhide III's for like $66.00 a tire. I would go that route if you want rawhides.

Richard carries a Carlisle version of the 21" Goodyear Rawhide, but not the 22" Rawhide III. The Carlisle version that he sells doesn't last as long as the Goodyear and it is a much stiffer riding tire. Try to avoid going that way if possible. I would call www.tiresunlimited.com A bunch of folks bought 22" Goodyear Rawhide III's there for around $50. Hope this helps.

And boncrshr, you're right on the money in your post. Exerted PSI is the name of the game when it comes to AATV's.

You might also want to try Bike Bandit if you can't find them from Tires Unlimited. They have the 22" Goodyear Rawhide III (also cheaper than Route6x6 sells the 21" Carlisles for) .

Goodyear Rawhide III ATV Tire at BikeBandit.com

+ Reply to Thread