Biggest and Best Tires for a Max II

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Biggest and Best Tires for a Max II

RajunCajun2001,my Max II is a 2007 with the 23 HP Kohler Command and I've replace the green clutch spring with the red one for more power throughout the RPM band.The tires are 25x12x9 Dirt Devil A/T they're not the best in the water but they are excellent as a general purpose tire.They give a good ride and are way better in mud and snow than the stock tires.

Killr, what rims are you running? Matt-o? Did you need spacers to keep the 12 inch wide tires from rubbing?

Quote Originally Posted by Killr View Post
    RajunCajun2001,my Max II is a 2007 with the 23 HP Kohler Command and I've replace the green clutch spring with the red one for more power throughout the RPM band.The tires are 25x12x9 Dirt Devil A/T they're not the best in the water but they are excellent as a general purpose tire.They give a good ride and are way better in mud and snow than the stock tires.

wheel spacers

Quote Originally Posted by RajunCajun2001 View Post
    Killr, what rims are you running? Matt-o? Did you need spacers to keep the 12 inch wide tires from rubbing?
    Cajun, you can have a set of wheel spacers made for your Max anywhere from 1 to 1 1/2 inches. Five bolt pattern on a 4 1/2 inch circle with 7/16 fine tooth threads. I had some made for my Max and they work great! Light, excellent quality!

Quote Originally Posted by mightymaxIV View Post
    Cajun, you can have a set of wheel spacers made for your Max anywhere from 1 to 1 1/2 inches. Five bolt pattern on a 4 1/2 inch circle with 7/16 fine tooth threads. I had some made for my Max and they work great! Light, excellent quality!
    Here are some pictures of my wheel extensions/adaptors. If you'd like I can send you a link.
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by sixbysix4me View Post
    You might also want to try Bike Bandit if you can't find them from Tires Unlimited. They have the 22" Goodyear Rawhide III (also cheaper than Route6x6 sells the 21" Carlisles for) .

Goodyear Rawhide III ATV Tire at BikeBandit.com
    I called bikebandit.com and the person I talked to said they no longer have any Goodyear Rawhide III's. In fact, I'm having a hard time locating any Rawhide III's. I want 22x8x11 tires for my standard Hustler.

Rawhide 3

If those tires are no longer available what is R.I. going to use.

RajunCajun2001,the rims are 9x10 K-rims which I bought from my Max dealer.I think they're for the Max Buffalo.

Vampires for my MAX II ??

Quote Originally Posted by boncrshr View Post
    Hey Rajun,

Mike is right on the money about taller tires eating up horsepower. When I went to 25" tires on my Hustler, I had to gear it down 30% to get the machine to perform right.

IMO, Vampires are the best AATV tire out there, they will swim with V's facing forward, climb out of a muddy bank better than anything and mud with the best of them. HOWEVER; and this is also my opinion and worth about as much..I believe exerted psi is the most important factor in mud performance...even over ground clearance. Wider tires are what decreases your exerted psi, so if you found the widest 22" tires available, you would get the performance you are looking for without the horsepower loss and drivetrain stress. Vampire does make a 22x12.5-9 I believe, and I am sure there are other wide 22" tires out there.

The only two things you will gain are ground clearance and ride comfort with the taller tires, but it will cause other problems for you to deal with. If you were to have 22x12.5 tires vs. 25x12.5 tires in a bottomless mudhole, I don't think there would be a significant difference in performance since amphibs don't dig down to find the bottom like a quad, the goal is to stay on top....

I have MattO rims and run low pressure and really like them....great price too.
    Does anyone know if the Vampire 22 x 12.5-9 will fit on the MaxII?
    With all the raving for the larger ones on other machines not to mention the look it gives these are the ones I want, but I am a greenhorn with all this and need to know what I'm in for.
    This I know( not much)
    1- I'll need new rims (MuddOs), they have a dealership in Alaska.

what I do not know

Will they be too wide stock?
    If so size of extenders?
    Too tall? will the tub need moding with the 22's?(hope not)
    My Max is a Tuch16 hp.
    Please help the greenhorn......

Quote Originally Posted by Killr View Post
    RajunCajun2001,the rims are 9x10 K-rims which I bought from my Max dealer.I think they're for the Max Buffalo.
    max onily use's 8 or 12 nothing elese . if they are 9 they are off a argo or matt o robbie
    Last edited by rdr; 08-30-2009 at 09:46 PM.
    1999 max 2 18 b&s 22 tires custom . new max iv 23 k 26 i/n tires brown . ht cable promark winch . new toy 1972 attex st400 400ccjlo and she will be bad . ( the frog ) if it don't float with out you getting wet . don't bring it ! R.I.P sage rogers 4 11 09 . you can't fix stuped !!!!! raceone 3 .)

You shouldn't have to modify the tub. The only real question would be if they are too wide. The width of stock 22" rawhide III's is 11". These would be 3/4" closer to the tub. Most likely that would not hit but you should measure to be sure. If they do hit then you would need 3/4" spacers to move the inside of the tire back out to the stock location.

If those are the ones you want I would go ahead and order them along with the 9" wheels. Then put them on and worst case, they hit the tub. Then you could order the spacers.

+ Reply to Thread