J-wheelz

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: J-wheelz

J-wheelz

I found this website accidently on Utube . This might just work on an amphibious machine , but with out putting all the strain on the axles , like a long track does. It would also lower the total psi like a track system does , plus skid steer easier too. This system makes a 4-wheeler amphibious like an amphib , though not as fast in the water. Its also nice that you don,t need aggressive mud tires to go through extreme mud conditons . Plus, it adds suspension above the mud which is a big plus. This company is also working on some more aggressive J-wheelz too. If I had known about this company before I bought my Max IV , I would have kept my 4 -wheel , independent suspended , 500 cc Polaris Sportsman.

Jwheelz - a bolt-on attachment for ATVs and UTVs
    Last edited by mudbug3; 08-24-2009 at 10:23 PM.

LOL it says they would actually work on my Z400

Hmm, if you do a lot of water riding, these may substantially improve water speed by floating the machine higher. Too bad my trails are far too narrow to drive an AATV with these one it through

PS. Boy, I can't fault them for skimping on durability testing, that's some impressive punishment they took
    Attex 295 Wild Wolf: My Runner
    Attex 252? Colt? Racer 80%: My Racer to be..... SOMEDAY
    Attex Super Chief - Sold.

atvrider93 ,

Yeah , the J-wheelz really took some punishment in that video I,d say!
    I was also impressed at how high that ATV floated above the water with the J-wheelz installed on it. If you had one of the new ATV,s with 4-wheel , independent suspension , and the J-wheelz on it as too, it would be like having your cake and eating it too. You would still be more narrow than a conventional amphib , but with 8-9 inches of suspension travel. Their website says that they are coming out with some more aggressive J-wheelz. This might make the water speed even better. This also leaves some options for the ATV rider who does not want to sell it to buy an amphib , but does want to ride with us at an amphib event.
    Last edited by mudbug3; 08-24-2009 at 10:29 PM.

The FAQS on the site says it will only float the atv and not the rider. So if you have a four wheeler before you cross that pond just get off, give it a good push and then run around to the other side to catch it. . they do look like they would work good though. Seth

chapy ,

If you watched the " whole" video on their website they clearly say " these stunts were performed by an experienced rider , and they are not endorsed by the company as safe for the average rider. I,m sure this is also a disclaimer to free them from possible law suits pertaining to any J-wheelz system they sell to the general public that might be used in a way that they don,t endorse for public use. If you watched " all of the video " on the left side of their website , it clearly shows a rider swimming an ATV across a pond using the J-wheels for steering , balance ,and water propulsion. There are video,s on Utube showing " experienced " ATV riders swimming their machines across ponds and small creeks using only their tires. If the tires on an ATV are big enough , and hold enough air to float the machine , and have tire lugs for water propulsion , then the only reason an " experinced " rider could not swim across a pond is balance. The J-wheelz system gives an ATV balance in the water, the tires gives it floatation , and this gives an "exerienced " ATV rider the ability to swim across ponds.
    Last edited by mudbug3; 08-24-2009 at 10:32 PM.

J wheelz

I like the way these things look. They seem like they would work for an AATV. By making an amphib float higher and giving each wheel a little extra drive in the water they should increase water speed quite a bit. Since these things only weigh about six pounds a piece they should weigh the same mounted with a twenty six inch Goodyear terra as a vampire. (Goodyear and Jwheelz 46 pounds-Vampire on a max rim 45 pounds). Since they are smaller in diameter than a big mud tire they shouldn't eat up as much power in a mud hole (they should be easier to turn). Assuming you can turn six of them in deep gummy mud you should be unstoppable in most mud conditions and other than the most soupy mud you should be able to stay on top of the mud without getting into the really bad stuff towards the bottom..... Since they are easy to remove you could take them off when you are trail riding! For a lot of the swamp conditions I have down here I would have no clearance problems and I could simply take them off if I had to. The only real problem I see is hitting tree stumps, roots, or logs with the left front or right front J wheel. The impact without suspension would make that 16 pound slege hammer look like a baby blow. If I am moving through shallow water I can't always see tree stumps just below the water line.That being said if they will make a set for a Max IV I will give them a try and post the results.

Easy mudbug. Read my post again and you might catch the humor this time. I can't watch videos with my dial-up, I am just going by what I can read. Seth

mightymaxIV,

The J-wheelz website says they will make custom applications for different wheel sizes not listed on their website. I think this would be a geat set up for a 4-wheeler friend who wants to go to one of our amphib events , and not feel left out of all the fun we are having.

They seem pretty cool but I could not find a price. I didnt find out how they are attached either.
    For the quad guys it seems like it would put alot of abuse on the ball joints and such. They would give a good yank on the handle bars if you hit something too. You would need a steering dampener. For the amphibs seem like it would be just as hard as running duals or tracks on your machine. You would just have to be carefull.

+ Reply to Thread