what should i do about engine?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: what should i do about engine?

what should i do about engine?

i have a 1979(i think) scrambler that i got 2 weeks ago in a trade
    the guy said the carb would need to be cleaned out so i cleaned it out pretty good. but, i cant get it to start. i hooked up 2 lawnmower batteries in parallel but i'm not sure if that in enough amps to get it going. i also noticed at one point while cranking it tht the starter wire where it connects to the starter motor started smoking.
    i think the carb needs an oring for the float needle.
    its a 16hp kohler, at least thats what i was told
    should i get this one going or get a newer but used engine?

Why did you hook the batteries up parallel together? Does 1 not spin it fast enough? It should. If the wire started smoking then it has either a bad connection or it cant take the amps for the period of time you had it cranking. Possibly to small guage of wire??? Which may explain why you used 2 batteries??? But Im guessing it was cranking a while before it started smoking so maybe no big deal. Will it start to run off starting fluid? If not then it may be another issue like spark usually but maybe compressions low either with valves or ring wear. With more info I bet we can help get that thing running for you.

when i hooked up a car battery it cranked what sounded like a good speed but my lamnmower batteries arent very high amperage
    when i poured in carb cleaner i was able to get it to run for about 1 second but that the longest i was able to get it to run for. i was able to get it to pop some but thats it. it only smokes after cranking for a while and only sometimes. it does spark when i have the plug out touching the head.

Smile scrambler

carb cleaner will only make it stall, to not run at all u need starting fluid.....

a little more info on your engine would be helpfull. kohler did both 2 and 4 strokes. a good lawn mower battery should be enough to get it going... if everything else is ok. the smoke tells me that you have a lot of resistance somewhere. check and clean all the cables in the starting system. also try pulling out the spark plugs and see how it cranks. while they are out check spark and compression. it's probably got points, and if it has no spark they might need cleaned/ adjusted. also check to make sure fuel is getting to the carb. 16hp is enough to give you a good taste of what one of these can do, and you can always upgrade later. i'd try to get it going, before i went to the trouble of an engine swap
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

4 stroke
    1 battery wasnt getting it spinning too good
    has spark
    dont want to upgrade, just want it running

ok, can you take the float bowl off. If so is there gas in it? When the bowl is off you can manually move the float up and down? Try that with gas in line and see if it flows. If you are getting fuel when you hold the float down then maybe the float needs adjusting? There are correct measurement for that but I ussually just play around with it till it works. Make sure you get all the little needle holes in the jets cleaned out. I have found wire brush bristle work good for that.

Is the gas gravity fed or is the a pump?

ok. total carb cleaning and rebuild. the kit is about $55. also check the fuel pump. i have a similar engine in my argo and if it sits for a long time the pump will lose it's prime. you can set a cup of gas up on the fender with a line down to the carb and see if it will run while gravity fed. i'd disconnect all the cables in the starting system and clean them, reinstall with dielectric grease just to be sure. clean the points and change the spark plugs just for good measure
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Smile scrambler.

pictures picturesssssssss so us guys may help...

+ Reply to Thread