what should i do about engine?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: what should i do about engine?

changed the spark plug
    i assume gravity feed because it didnt come with a pump
    the gas gets to the carb
    the float moves up and down fine but the oring that goes around the float needle kinda rotted out so i removed it
    basically the gas keeps comingand ends up leaking out of the carb in the overflow
    for now i'm just trying to get it running for a few seconds then i'll find an oring i guessi guess i forgot to say that i'm trying to spend as little money s possible because i really dont have much lol

my atv did the same thing , you just need a carb rebuild,just take the carb to a motorcycle repair shop ,they only charged me one hour labor and a rebuild kit was like 20 bucks...good luck

ok, well sounds like you have it figured out. Without the o ring it is probably just dumping fuel into engine and is why it isnt running long. I'd get that fixed and go from there. You can get them cheap at hardware stores like $1 or less but not sure if they are gas resistant so if you go that route watch for that. Not sure how much a correct replacement one is but you should price it because it maybe worth it if it does cost few more $$$. Good luck

but shouldnt it run if i spray wd40 into the carb?

I am not sure. It may sputter but I don't think it would run. And if the gas is on it is probably running into the engine flooding it out.

when i spray wd40 and carb cleaner and stuff i dont have the fuel line hooked up

carb cleaner and wd-40 don't burn all that great. get a can of starting fluid or brake clean. even with that it won't run long. it will either burn it all at once, or you'll flood the engine if you keep trying to spray it. i would spend the cash on a carb rebuild. the carb delivers the right ratio of air and fuel... you can't really replicate that with a spray can, and can do dammage to the engine if you do it too much
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

also, my metal airfilter cover thing wont come off
    the bolt just spins for some reason, any ideas?
    i guess i'll do a carb rebuild of find an oring

Hi:
    If the needle O-ring is shot, it won't run. It's getting too much gas and flooding, making it hard to crank, pulls high amps, and bingo, you get smoke. I rebuild my garden tool engines all the time without kits, and am just VERY careful to not tear any gaskets, but you'll still need that O-ring, and the kit is probably very cheap anyways. AND BE CAREFUL, a hardware store O-ring may degrade in the gas very quickly, leaving you back where you are now in no time.
    Attex 295 Wild Wolf: My Runner
    Attex 252? Colt? Racer 80%: My Racer to be..... SOMEDAY
    Attex Super Chief - Sold.

i replaced the oring and poured a bit of gas in the hole
    it fired and the exhaust came out of the side of the head
    then i tried again and flame shot out of the carb(was kinda like a flamethrower, pretty cool) so, i think the head is a bit warped and the timing is way off.
    i think i need a new engine
    i think my options are 8hp or 10hp tecumseh or 12hp LCT
    any suggestions?
    i cant spend much at all, definately not more than 400

oh and how do i get the thing off???????
    Last edited by Mike; 12-05-2008 at 08:47 PM.

+ Reply to Thread