what should i do about engine?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: what should i do about engine?

Smile Welcome!

Welcome to the REAL world of 6 wheelers!

Late Scramblers had 12 Hp flat head or 16 hp ohv Tecumseh engines. They both have pulse fuel pumps connected to hoses off the crankcase. confirm you have fuel at the carb by loosening the nut on the carb bowl. If it has fuel but does not run the carb needs a rebuild. Do not remove the mainjet on the carb when you clean the carb as they are aligned with the carb casting. Best to remove the carb complete and soak it in hydroseal or carb soak. The Tec engines have CDI ignitions and should ave very good spark the only problem with the spark would be if the flywheel key sheared and the flywheel shifted.

it was the 16HP
    i think i figured out the runaway part, apparently the manufacturer thought it would be a good idea to make the "at rest" throttle position be full throttle
    still cant figure out the steering though

Ok, little more than "High Idle" but that should be an easy fix. Since that was set like it was, I would recomend just going over everything else to make sure there isn't other problems waiting to happen. And you may want to do an oil change after just a little running. Especially if this is a "Copy" engine made in China or something like that, you'll be good to look and make sure wires aren't right by the exaust or in danger of being eaten by the flywheel, and cleaning any debris in the engine by changing the oil after a brief run (Some members have found suprises left in the engine, or ruined one without the change). Sometimes you have to be the Q.C. but then you get a good reliable engine cheap.

PS OH, did you hang onto the old engine. Tec is on it's way out of business , so there may be members who could use parts if you don't have a use for the engine, just a thought.
    Last edited by 6X6; 12-23-2008 at 11:54 PM.
    Attex 295 Wild Wolf: My Runner
    Attex 252? Colt? Racer 80%: My Racer to be..... SOMEDAY
    Attex Super Chief - Sold.

yup, still got the old one
    i dont think its a knock off, seems good quality

Wow, 299. in Northern Tool for the 12HP, not bad. I would recomend the "checkup" and oil change. Not saying it's not well built, just sometimes small things do get missed, and you can catch em easy and cheap, or fix later harder and expensive. (Or waiting for Warrenty replacement) Sounds like your close. Sorry I can't comment on steering, but I have exactly 0 Scrambler experience.
    Attex 295 Wild Wolf: My Runner
    Attex 252? Colt? Racer 80%: My Racer to be..... SOMEDAY
    Attex Super Chief - Sold.

other than the time it tried to kill me, i drove it first time today
    it was great but it threw a chain
    steering isnt too precise but it might just need some more running

Thats cool. Glad its coming around.

today i'm trying to get the chains back on
    so, i got one back on where it was the big sprocket that fell of but for a couple, only the little sprocket fell off
    any suggestions for getting the chains back on?

Quote Originally Posted by atvrider93 View Post
    today i'm trying to get the chains back on
    so, i got one back on where it was the big sprocket that fell of but for a couple, only the little sprocket fell off
    any suggestions for getting the chains back on?
    You will probably need to loosen the adjusters to put them back on. If you dont then when they are back on you need to tighten them. You maybe able to find the masterlink and take it apart. I did make a great tool for working with chain out off an old set of needlenose pliers. Just grind some grooves near then end so when you pinch the links the chain dont pop out. Then you can pinch the chain together to put the master link back on. I have seen tools that are the same thing but only with needle nose vise grips too.

+ Reply to Thread