1980s argo no engine

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1980s argo no engine

1980s argo no engine

I have the opportunity to purchase a Argo 8 I/C, an early 80's model. It has no motor and as I have never owned one I was wanting your expert opinions on what motor I should put in it. I was thinking a diesel but do not know what hp is needed. I want to tour around with the wife and kids and plow snow in the winter. What do you think?

You say it's an 8-wheeler; I would suggest a B&S Vanguard;18hp minimum. Especially if you plan to push snow around. They aren't too expensive, and they are pretty easy to work on and get parts for. Diesel power is more efficient per horse, but also a bit more pricey. If you can swing the diesel, go for it! But as I said, 18 hp minimum.
    It's all just nuts and bolts.

Would I need an 18 hp diesel or can I get away with a 10 hp. They sell a 10 hp at Princess Auto for $900.

Smile

I believe a 10 hp diesel would be fine,, lotsa power, etc,

10hp diesel would be ok. But keep in mind, the extra costs and maintenance involved. If your willing to address the extra (maintenance involved with the diesel) and are knowledge in the work, you are well on your way to making a great ride. I'm anxious to hear your decision and read about the results from that.

I am wondering what the extra maintenance might be? I made the switch to diesel for my truck years ago and will never go back. I find it far more economical than the gasers I used to drive. Unfortunatly I don'tknow much about these small diesel engines. Wouldn't mind figuring out how to turbo one though.

Exclamation

I think you'ld like it alot, u could even run it on cooking oil and even a 5/2 mix of waste oil!! lets say 10 gallons of fuel.....
    2 gallons of diesel, 8 gallons of used, filtered motor oil
    i run that in my army truck and my diesel datsun truck too
    total cost? 1.00 a gallon or less?................

Quote Originally Posted by Littlebow01 View Post
    I am wondering what the extra maintenance might be? I made the switch to diesel for my truck years ago and will never go back. I find it far more economical than the gasers I used to drive. Unfortunatly I don'tknow much about these small diesel engines. Wouldn't mind figuring out how to turbo one though.
    I was just referring to the extra fuel filters needed on diesels Most have at least two, some have three, and the precautions needed to prevent gelling in cold weather. Not to mention cold-start systems as ether injection or glow-plugs. You're exactly right in saying they are more economical, and in my opinion, diesels put out more horses for the money. They can put out equal hp to a compareable rated gasser at about 1/2 the rpms. As far as putting a turbo on one; It would be easiest to install/convert to a complete engine that already has one. Without getting too deep, you deal with air coolers, turbo volumetric balance on and between intake and exhaust, oil feed and return lines, etc, etc. Didn't mean to confuse anyone. Sorry if I did.

+ Reply to Thread