Ashtabula, OH

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Ashtabula, OH

Ashtabula, OH

My only experience in racing was going here in the mid 80s to mid 90s to watch my family members race. I even raced (against 2 springers) in my uncle's Max JLO 440 in 1994. Someone videotaped it but, I never got to see it. I know I was there way past the "glory days" but, I enjoyed it none the less. Just curious who else here would have been there around that time racing/ watching?

Back in 1974,during Summer Nationals, the whole field to the left of the track was filled w/ cars. The pit area was to the right of the track.

Oh man, I can just feel the six wheel slide all the way thru turns one and two. Did you ever need to lift off the throttle? Even just a little?

Those two hairpins look like the great equalizers on the track. I'd pay a lot of money to be able to race there. It's only about 3.5 hours from me.

<sigh>
    ~m

I don't know who runs it now but I remember hearing about Buddy Fischer alot when I was younger. My cousins still race quads there. It would be cool to see a few machines show up for an exhibition race or something.

Last week I sent Bud Fisher a copy of my DVD's and invited him to visit us all at 6x6 world. I understand he is into the quad raceing probably still at this track.Mabe he'll start a 6 wheel class up for all you guy's back east. If he did that would probably force me into a trip back there. That would be worth the 2000 mile trip to race on that track again. It was the BEST track ever!

At the risk of sounding like a giant buzz-kill, I'll post my thoughts on this with the caveat that there are very few that are as interested as I am in the prospect of racing.

It's tough to get enough people together to actually race. How many people have a machine that they'd be willing to flog out on a race track? I like to think that I know a few people in the hobby, but I think there are less than 10 people (across the U.S., not just within driving distance of Ashtabula) that would be willing to get out and race their machines. I'd love to be proven wrong. I have two machines that are ready to go at a moment's notice. I'll bring them both so I can lend one to someone else to race. An appropriate skills test (to be determined) must be passed before handing over the keys to either the D/stock or the R

If there are enough people to actually have classes in stock/mod categories, it would be amazing. The thing is, even in the stock category, you'd need at least a dozen machines to get a decent race going. Does anybody out there want to match their fine running 297 up against the McKay? Anyone?

I know that winning isn't the point. It'd sort of be like when the guys in their three million dollar 1950s aluminum bodied Ferraris go out and race. No one is trying to really win, they just want the chance to get out and play, and use the machines for what they were built for.

I'll stop there before I bring myself down even further...
    ~m

I have to agree with Mike. Unfortunately in past attempts, there were only a handful of people that actually wanted to show up and race. There were a couple places that people tried to get some 6x6 racing going and it kind of fizzled out. I wish I was growing up when racing 6x6's was popular with thousands of spectators coming from miles around to watch. If there were so many race machines, I wonder where they all are now? That would be great if we could get something going as a result of this great website. Lets keep the site growing and maybe this time something could come about.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Mike, I'd love to race your machine. Thanks for the offer.

Even a stock class with the 4-strokes would be fun. I have at least one of those. I don't have a racer, but I have access to all the pieces to build one.
    If it becomes a serious venture, count me in.

Smile

I'd be willing to race if I could commission someone to put a roll cage on my Chief....Mike?(as in Hydro)
    Banned

I think that a 4 stroke class would be fantastic. Imagine what would happen in the hairpin turns when all of the Max IIs and Argos slow down to negotiate the hazards of 20 other riders doing the same thing.... when all of a sudden, here comes all 1500 pounds and 18HP of the S.S. Dolfi diving into the hairpin with wreckless abandon, hell-bent for the winner's circle. I'd pay gooooood money to see that.

~m

+ Reply to Thread