New to forum - Vanguard question

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New to forum - Vanguard question

New to forum - Vanguard question

Hello AATVers! My name is Bill and I own a 2001 Max II with an 18 hp Vanguard. The machine was abused by the former owner, not from riding but from lack of proper (any) maintenance. I've slowly worked out all the bugs and then I proceeded to hit a tree and bend an axel. Another lesson learned there!

My question now is, with everything back together the Max is running as good as it ever has. I have the Bosch plugs in it but I'd like to take the rpm up to 4,000. Can someone tell me how this adjustment is made? I know I'll need to get a tach to set it - probably will pick up a Vibra Tach.

I've rebuilt the carb, replaced fuel lines and filter, lubed chains and bearings, and performed other tasks that now qualify me for membership in the Max contortionist club. Now if I could only eek out a little more speed, I'd be all set. Not looking to get crazy fast as I can't imagine driving one of these at high speed. Just looking for a little more top end.

Bill

tripleguy

Big welcome to the amphibious forum .

Hi Bill,

I think the Vanguards are governed to 3500 rpms on our machines. I'm not sure but I think that's what I remember hearing.

I guess you might need tips on adjusting the governor. I'm afraid I can't help you with that but I'm sure someone here can.
    Banned

trip you can bend the mounting plat pick up peice a litle and pick up rpm.s but after 4000 there is no more spped to be gained with the stock cluch might want to look at route 6x6 and pick up a highspeed cluch to gain speed. fuller avation has one on his maxIV so i'm shure he can tell you how munch is gained . also mine is set for 4300 runns at 4000 on a hill . robbie
    1999 max 2 18 b&s 22 tires custom . new max iv 23 k 26 i/n tires brown . ht cable promark winch . new toy 1972 attex st400 400ccjlo and she will be bad . ( the frog ) if it don't float with out you getting wet . don't bring it ! R.I.P sage rogers 4 11 09 . you can't fix stuped !!!!! raceone 3 .)

Thanks Robbie - what tach are guys using?

Do most folks use somethig like a Vibra tach to set initial RPM or run something like a Tiny Tach and have the ability to continuously monitor rpm?

Quote Originally Posted by tripleguy View Post
    Do most folks use somethig like a Vibra tach to set initial RPM or run something like a Tiny Tach and have the ability to continuously monitor rpm?
    i have a tiny tach on my briggss robbie
    1999 max 2 18 b&s 22 tires custom . new max iv 23 k 26 i/n tires brown . ht cable promark winch . new toy 1972 attex st400 400ccjlo and she will be bad . ( the frog ) if it don't float with out you getting wet . don't bring it ! R.I.P sage rogers 4 11 09 . you can't fix stuped !!!!! raceone 3 .)

rdr pretty much said it all. Briggs manuals also tell you to bend the tab to adjust the rpms. They actually have a "special" tool, but it just amounts to a cheezy piece of 3/16in round stock with a slit cut in the end. (Pliers work fine!) I use a "SenDEC" (Flash Alert) tach/hour meter. Works to 8000 rpms, AND monitors hours and reminds you to change oil every 25 hours. Here's a link to their web site. SenDEC Corporation - Contract Electronics Manufacturing Services (EMS) and Digital Instrumentation Products - Home.
    Last edited by Jeff t-boss; 12-20-2008 at 04:17 PM.
    It's all just nuts and bolts.

+ Reply to Thread