Tru-Trax on an Attex?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tru-Trax on an Attex?

Question Tru-Trax on an Attex?

Hi guys, hope everyone is having a good holiday season. I have come across a set of Tru-Trax that were purchased new for a Max II of unknown vintage. I had not really considered putting tracks on my Wild Wolf, but I am giving it some thought now.

They list for about $900 new not including shipping. This set is a few years old, but never put on a machine and have been kept inside. They have the optional Stainless cleats and links. He is looking for $800.

So, my questions are 1) Does anyone have experience with the Tru-Trax product? 2) Is it wise to install these on an Attex? My feeling is that the axles and bearings are on the weak side (by design) for tracks. 3) Is the wheelbase similar enough between a Max II and an Attex, so that these would fit? Tru-Trax does not list any Attex machines for fitment on their website.

If I pass them up, maybe someone else would be interested? Honestly I am more concerned with getting my machine back together (50% done!!) than I am buying tracks. I don't even have tires yet!
    -Dave
    1973 Attex 295 WILD WOLF

Hmm, I think Whipper would know exactly what the difference between the Max II and Attex Wheelbase is. Besides the obvious of moving the exaust, I'm not sure if anything else would be needed, there are raised (Lowered) parts of the tub that may rub tracks, (I actually think it's likely.) Even in relatively deep snow, I was able to keep the WW moving, so I haven't really looked at it too hard.
    Attex 295 Wild Wolf: My Runner
    Attex 252? Colt? Racer 80%: My Racer to be..... SOMEDAY
    Attex Super Chief - Sold.

Don has these tracks on his Attex 'Lil Truck. He might be able to give you some pointers. If you are going to run tracks on an Attex you will have to change the exhaust exit location from the side of the body through the top of the left side engine cover/seat assembly vent hole. I'm pretty sure that a Max requires 28 track links per side and an Attex has a tad shorter wheel base, so you would probably need to take a segment out on each side and they would work for you.........judging by Don's picture there are 27 track segments on one side I believe.

Thanks for the info, guys. He said he had 56 links total, plus two spares which would make sense for a Max. They look just like the set on Dons' Lil' Truck, except for the cleats. It does not look like there would be enough room for the cleats, and I certainly do not want to tear up the body.

I'm still on the fence about the deal, I guess. I suppose it all comes down to the money. If my machine was done, it would be different for sure.
    -Dave
    1973 Attex 295 WILD WOLF

I'm not sure exactly what the Tru-Tracks look like, but the Attex tracks are very close to the body on the Li'ltruck both on top and on the inside. The Superchief set for tracks came with hubs that had two drillings for the bolt: one for tracks and one for no tracks. Even with the hubs set for tracks, there's very little clearance between the body and track, especially at the left rear. Axle extensions would help out, but I don't know how well the 1" axles would hold up to them.
    Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

The Tru-Trax look very similar to the set on your Lil' Truck. I definately want to avoid having to extend the axles, for fear of bending them up during rides without the tracks. If it was a poly body, I would not worry so much. Hate to beat up a good old ABS body, not many good ones left!

Thanks for the info, Don. I was hoping to hear from someone who actually had a set on an Attex. I should have known that you would!!

I'm going to pass on them. Maybe someone else can use them.
    -Dave
    1973 Attex 295 WILD WOLF

I'm going to resurrect this old thread and see if anyone might have some info on how far the wheels need to be extended out so that they don't hit on the body. I just got a set of plastic tracks, just like the ones on Don's Lil' Truck, and I'm thinking that I'm going to run them on my green Superchief 4 stroke trail machine.
    Last edited by jpswift1; 07-03-2010 at 02:58 AM.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

I was able to answer my own question. If anyone was wondering, you can run 18x9.5x8 tires (the same that Attex had on their factory tracked machines) with 27 track links per side and I used 2.5" Argo wheel spacers. 2" spacers would have been enough though.

"Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

+ Reply to Thread