Borg Warner T-20 Setup

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Borg Warner T-20 Setup

Hey Jeff,

You can give me a holler too when you set up a ride. You're closer to me than Ohio.

George
    Banned

Cetainly George. I know the last one you had arranged in June didnt work out. I had my summer course I was taking for my master's and everyone seemed to be busy but maybe we can get everyone together sometime. It seems like there are a good amount of NY/PA people around the forums. How far are you from the Buffalo area?
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Hi Jeff,

I'm almost 8 hours drive from Buffalo. My machines are already half way there though.

George
    Banned

After having suffered from a very weak reverse(more on one side than the other) but both sides weak.I followed Budresiew's instructions to the letter.It definitely cured my reverse but even though my measurements appear indentical on the plunger adjusting bolts I now seem to have transferred my weak reverse to a weak forward.On a snow bank steep incline I tried engaging only the right side and the track wouldn't spin at all,the left side would spin but not with the authority I would expect.With bot tracks engaged it seems to go anywhere.I'm not sure how I screwed this up.Just to try to get my head around this..The top plungers are for forward or reverse??I ask because I have no way of knowing whether the bands tighten with plunger full in or full out.Also.the adjustment just behind the laterals just below the floorboards.......what do they adjust? I like the Max's drive system mostly but man the T-20 can exasperate me!

When you pull a plunger out away from the T20 it tightens the band around one drum effectively braking that drum. There are four drums in the T20 so depending on which one you are adjusting it will affect forward or reverse on either the right or left side. So when you pull the right side lateral back it pulls the bottom plunger on the right side of the T20 out away from the T20 braking that drum. So if you do not have the right side drive (in forward) to where it fully engages that typically means that your plunger for that drum is adjusted too far out of the transmission. Before you take actions to counter that though be sure that you are completely pushing forward on the laterals. It is very easy to have another inch of travel left in the lateral especially if you still have the springs on them. In normal terrain you don't have to have them fully forward to engage the transmission but when you get into a situation where you begin to bog the machine down you will have to push the laterals fully forward. Lots of times people don't realize that they don't have the sticks all the way forward.

As for the adjustments right behind the laterals that will move them either closer or further away from your body so that you get a more comfortable seating position. Adjust those after you have your transmission adjusted to suit your personal preference.

Thanks Mike.I have learned already that the difference in bands not tight enough and just right is of very very little adjustment difference.I have to open her up to do adjustment on my new belt so I'll tweak my adjustments when I have the floorboard out.I believe it should spin one side anywhere anytime if the machine is not moving forward unless the engine does not have enough power.I'm finding the engine revs up and nothing turns,again only in extreme circumstances such as a very steep incline.

+ Reply to Thread