H2O propulsion from the main engine? on Max or Argo

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: H2O propulsion from the main engine? on Max or Argo

H2O propulsion from the main engine? on Max or Argo

I am wondering if anyone has tried to run power from their main engine for water propulsion? Jet drive or Propeller.
    It seems silly to bolt on an outboard when carrying around a 18hp Briggs & Stratton as dead weight. I have a stepped shaft and could run a Vee-Belt in addition to the C-Clutch for separate power takeoff.
    Problems:
    I think that you have to spin a Jet really fast.
    Can't have a propeller shaft sticking out of the back when 6 wheeling in the woods.
    1970's Max II
    2000 18hp B&S
    mis-mash of parts and pieces

The early Hustler models had a jet pump...Richard Clarke sells them also. Fascinating topic for sure. The Hustler would reach 8mph in the water!!!

So it can be done, but someone on the site needs to be the guinea pig!!! Interested??
    Hammers should have warning labels.

As a boater 1st and AATVer 2nd, I have wondered about more speed. I'm gonna try and build a small wooden Hydro, but will do jet drive instead of an outboard. I'll be using a JLO Snowmobile/AATV engine, and will use a (not yet found) Older JetSki for the Impeller and shaft. I looked at the Jet drives from the Hustler and Wedge, and while the right size, they are too much. A sunk Jetski can go for basically nothing, and the Jet will even have a reverse cup. While I'm not cutting up the Wolf to try it, I'll let you know how my hydro comes out in the spring, it will work basically the same. (But just a touch faster)
    Attex 295 Wild Wolf: My Runner
    Attex 252? Colt? Racer 80%: My Racer to be..... SOMEDAY
    Attex Super Chief - Sold.

are you planning a wooden jetski?

6X6
    Are you planning to build you own "wooden" jet ski or will this be a six x six / jetski?
    I too have owned boats & jetskis. The 1990 500cc waverunners I owned wanted way more RPM's than I could afford here. Lugging around a second engine is just unwanted weight.

I want to put a water drive on/in my MAX and use my 18hp B&S. As usual I don't know how... and everytime I try something like this it is like I am BLEEDING MONEY!
    1970's Max II
    2000 18hp B&S
    mis-mash of parts and pieces

Why not remove four of the wheels and bolt on paddles welded to rims?

The hydrotrax dual propulsion system might be the way to go.Just a suggestion.

Recreatives Industries supposedly used some propeller setups on early Max II's. Jeff posted some pictures of the early tubs in the gallery:

Member BW6 has built his own propeller drive for his Max II with lots of pictures in the gallery too:

On top of the other six wheelers that members have mentioned with propulsion systems the Land Tamer currently offers a hydraulically driven prop too: Water Propulsion System

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Recreatives Industries supposedly used some propeller setups on early Max II's. Jeff posted some pictures of the early tubs in the gallery:

Member BW6 has built his own propeller drive for his Max II with lots of pictures in the gallery too:

On top of the other six wheelers that members have mentioned with propulsion systems the Land Tamer currently offers a hydraulically driven prop too: Water Propulsion System
    Check out Route 6x6 site, there is an after-market twin prop add-on listed there!

propultion

I have a hustler that I am trying to get more water speed out of. I am going to try running a transfer pump off the engine, there is plenty of hp available, since the pump only requires 5 hp, and doesn't require super high rpm. The output is over 14000 gallons per hour. It will be like having a fire hose attached to the back, pushing it forward. I will not have it installed or tested until spring, but I will let everyone know how it works.
    I don't want to go fast, I just want to go anywhere.

Sounds like a lot of fun. I am tearing apart my first 6x6 right now and going to put in a water system as well to get me around in the channels and bay's. We'll see how it goes. I will be posting pics of the whole restoration.

+ Reply to Thread