H2O propulsion from the main engine? on Max or Argo

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: H2O propulsion from the main engine? on Max or Argo

Smile berkley jet drive on wedge

Quote Originally Posted by boncrshr View Post
    The early Hustler models had a jet pump...Richard Clarke sells them also. Fascinating topic for sure. The Hustler would reach 8mph in the water!!!

So it can be done, but someone on the site needs to be the guinea pig!!! Interested??
    a few of us here on this site have sperry rand wedges with the jet drive too

kid

The kid came with a factory PTO and There is a video on you tube that is called K.I.D. ATV Amphibious All Terain Vehicle atv amphibious all train argo max where the guy drives into a lake with the PTO going while it has a propeller on it. It goes pretty fast for what it is being so big heavy and blunt. Has a 30 hp gas engine but i dont know what rpm the pto is turning. I'm sure with a lighter machine would go much faster
    8x8 twice as good as 4x4

Warranty

I know this is not water propulsion but if you can hang a prop on it maybe a little tweaking who knows. It has a lot of good videos. Not good for the woods but it has its possibilities. Could be mounted in the center of a argo like a 5th wheel and extended for water use. This would be scary fast in a argo. Found this a while back and just thought i would share it.

I have been thinking about this idea for over a year now,
    I also own a Honda F12X jetski and a 19 foot Hamilton jet boat with a ford V8 and a 3 stage Hamilton jet drive.
    Have rebuilt both the jetski and Hamilton jetpump a few times.

the thing is a jetpump needs to be spinning at 3-4000 rpm to work in cruise.
    below 2000 rpm there is almost no thrust.

therefore the concept of driving a jetpump off the axle mechanism is a flawed design.
    I measured my axle speed on the MAX 4 off the ground at WOT
    its only 250 rpm, this wont drive a jetpump or propeller efficiently if at all.

so the only way a jetpump or propeller can be driven is PTO direct from the engine geared up for the jetpump at least 1.3:1
    the inlet design is critical on a jetpump or else it cavitates under load, look at the hustler berkely unit , u can see the inlet duct smoothly guides water into impeller

the jetpump I am using (cost $200) is off a Kawasaki JS550 standup jetski, this is a mixed flow type of pump, (better for lower revs)
    thrust is rated at 360 LBS.

so isn't that like having 8 trolling motors bolted on the back

regards
    OZ

JS550 jetpump

Few pics of the JS550 pump, mockup only.
    it will fit where the towball is so shaft bearing can mount on frame structure.

my max pump.jpgmy max pump 2.jpg

the JS550 pumps are quite small, original engine is a 2 stroke 35 HP.
    not very torquey, max RPM 4900.

uSDFntitled.jpguntitSADECled.jpg

Shaft diameter is 28mm so the rest of the drive will be have to be as strong

OZ

JETMATE

So then I thought to myself , if this actually works would it be possible to get on the plane ?

And I came across the Kawasaki Jetmate, 650 cc 2 stroke, 4 people, as aerodynamic as a brick,
    just like the MAX and similar weight.

attachment.jpghull ent.jpg72.jpgattQWQWQWWachment.jpg

food for thought, jetdrives have been put on some pretty square dinghys with success
    with good results.

The jetpumps on the Hustler and wedge are running at too low RPMs to achieve any reasonable thrust.

My MAX axle speed with a strobe RPM device reached 260 RPM MAX at the hub,
    needs to be more like 2600 RPM to start getting decent thrust.
    In other words the pumps on the Hustler and Wedge are only at jetpump idle,
    on a jetski that equates to 6 knots max.

I think I can get at least 10 knots, which will be enough to cross tidal rivers and creeks,
    however if I get it to plane(extra work needed for jetpump inlet and adding some Vee to the hull).

I would be happy to venture further out into calm seas.

Also I would like to tow the MAX behind my 19 foot Jetboat Half cabin as both a tender
    and ATV to explore the many remote beaches and islands where I live.

I have had Achilles heel operations and my days of walking long distances especially on sand, are over.

Am in the final stages of designing my PTO drive design for the MAX (27 HP Kawasaki twin liquid cooled)

If it achieves over 4000 RPM I can go ahead with the pump.
    My MAX engine I strobe measured at 3650 MAX RPM no load, off the the ground.

Aiming for 4800 RPM at WOT at the pump for a decent thrust result.
    All depends if my drive mechanism handles the high revs OK.

regards
    OZ

Oztrax, just want to say thanks for posting the jet pump info. I'm very close to starting a Hustler build that will include a Berkeley 5J5 pump. The rpm info is very reassuring. I gleened that these pumps like to top out right around 6K rpm which to me made sense since most of the little 2 cycle engines of the day run 5800/6000 top end. I have a 1.5:1 rt. angle box that I intend on using. 4000 out of a 4 cycle V-Twin and 6000 to the pump should be way more than enough and I feel the 4 cycle will do well in the lower rpm ranges purely from torque. I have successfully disassembled pump and am impressed to see that it uses common lip seals and a 6203 bearing.

Jim, thanks for the info. I'll PM some replies to ya soon but still watch out for me heading toward your camp with a cooler full o Coors in June!

Berkeley 5J5 jetpump

Looked up,the bit of info I managed to find on the 5J5.
    Tried to make the graph and specs more readable.
    But u can easily see the pump power graph starts at 2000 rpm.

image.jpg

One of my other projects is installing a Nissan YD25 turbo diesel to power my 19 foot jetboat. Hamilton jet supply a lot of information on how to match their jetpumps with various engines and hull sizes.

The theory is, where the HP and the JETPUMP RPM graph intersect, that will be your max RPM (and max speed, eg WOT)

Below my initial design graphs to see if the Nissan engine could cut it as Ford 351 V8 replacement, big shoes to fill for a 4 cyl.
    image.jpg

And here u can see the power and torque curves to determine cruise RPM.
    image.jpg

I chose the Nissan for its European Renault heritage, eg it had to capable of at least 4500 RPM without power curve dropping off to much.
    With a 3700 max power sweet point for cruise.

Below an example of an engine that cannot rev high enough, in this case a 4l Perkins Phaser 4L turbodiesel. Enormous torque low down , but can't rev high enough to get JETPUMP working.

image.jpg

Regards
    OZ

+ Reply to Thread