Michigan riders

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Michigan riders

Michigan riders

Hi All,

New and looking at 6x6 machines. I am wondering, I live here near Grand Rapids Michigan and have found out that there might not be too many places to ride these, is this true? I do live on a private lake and the wife wanted something to ride to and from the dock with, we live about a mile from the dock becasue we have to drive around the lake. Anyhow she was thinking golf cart, I am thinking 6x6 becasue I am an avid bow fisherman and was thinking that having one to get around the creeks with would be great but I think thats not even allowed here in Michigan.

Where can you ride these things here?

Cool Place To Ride ?

Welcome Rain
    I belive you can ride on any approved atv trail with orv sticker.I think that you have to have, a boat reg sticker for the water and maybe snowmoble trail sticker for them trails and maybe a launch fee sticker for a dock area.I think that we need a univeral sticker ? 8 wheels float a litte more.looking forward to seeing your new ride.NERO

I also live neer GR and dont have many places to ride around here but do go up by lake city for the trails.
    If you want to check it out or ride in an Argo let me know and I would love to show it off
    Last edited by trebmaster; 01-21-2009 at 11:03 AM.
    Kevin Hough
    TREBMASTER
    (____>
    .OOO

Check the DNR website for rules regarding AATV's. also, there is a very good ORV park near Flint. Go to Genesee county parks & rec. website & check out "The Mounds". If we could get enough Michigan riders out there at the same time/weekend, we could make quite a video for this site!

Sorry for the questions...

Here is what the DNR website says, its confusing!!

Argo Use on State Land

The following addresses only Michigan's state regulations. To determine the regulations on federal properties, you should contact the appropriate federal agency with jurisdiction over the areas where you wish to operate.
    An Argo is regulated as an Off-Road Recreation Vehicle (ORV) under Michigan law. In the Lower Peninsula, an ORV may only be operated in areas open to the public on designated routes, trails, or areas that are posted as open to ORVs. However, ORV trails are limited to vehicles that are less then 50 inches in width, so an Argo cannot be operated on designated ORV "Trails". An Argo can be operated on designated ORV "Routes" and Scramble Areas in the Lower Peninsula with a valid ORV license.

Cross-county travel by ORVs in areas open to the public is prohibited in both the Upper and Lower Peninsulas with very few exceptions (such as to retrieve a legally taken deer at minimal speed).

You may use an Argo for duck hunting, with certain restrictions. The Argo may not be driven down the bank of a river or stream and into the water. You may access surface waters at boat launches. You may not operate in a wetland or in a manner so as to create an erosive condition.

So can you drive it on the ORV trails most of the times if the wheel base on some are 50 inches or less even though it specifically calls out an argo??

From the looks of this, it looks like you cant just drive it into or out of the crreks unless they have a boat ramp.

How about logging roads or 2 tracks? Can you drive them on those?

Rainwater,
    The restriction regarding 6x6's and 8x8's regardless of who makes them is not the wheelbase. The regulation refers to the width. All of the 6x6's and 8x8's that I am aware of are more than 50 inches wide. Michigan allows these kind of vehicles on their "jeep" type trails. We are not allowed to ride on orv trails as these are for dirt bikes and quads. It is a stupid rule but most of the land use rules are based on who lobbys the law makers the loudest. I do know that you are allowed to ride on private land if you have the land owners permission but you do need a "ORV' sticker in all cases. The "mounds" area is a very nice area to ride. Private off road parks also are ok. There are not many of these in Michigan though. Personally I like to ride at a place called Haspin Acres near Richmond Indiana. If you look thru this web site and Route 6x6 you will see that there are quite a few places to ride but it does involve some travel.
    Bob

Hello,
    I'm from Vicksburg, MI about 45 south of GR.

Most of those rules would apply to a golf cart too. Cart advantage is just enter/exit is easier. 6x6 advantage is water use, less stuckage and manuevablity to name a few.

I have been to the state trails near Baldwin on Off road buggy, ATCs and ATVs. The 50" trial is really only good for a bike as the trail is so rutted out it is just to narrow to drive even a quad on. Trust me, I did superman over the bars, lol. Most of the riding we do there is on the trail that trucks/cars can go on. And there are usually only a couple trucks when Ive been there.

I posted what you have to go through to get a watercraft sticker. http://www.6x6world.com/forums/gener...-atv-boat.html

Technically you can only ride down navigable water which is classified information, lol. Suppose to be any river which they used for logging. I think there is also some formula for flow rate too but... If you would take a row boat down it then should be ok. The riding in and out of the banks and enter in boat launch is because they dont want you tearing the banks all up. If you drive in and stay in you are probably ok. I bet most dnr dont fully know the laws and as long as you arent being reckless you should be fine. What is considered a boat launch? They put there row boat in here sooo....must be a launch?????????

Frozen water can be ridden on with just an orv sticker. If you dont have a roll bar you need a helmet. If you do have a roll bar I believe you may need seatbelts but dont quote me.

I have been to "The Mounds" that Artist suggested, in a truck though. Seems like that would be more fun with a 6x6 then the state trails I have been on. I think we should all plan on some ride there sometime this summer or something.

I only own a small acre size chunk of land but crazycolt222 aka my brother has 20 acres and my parents own 60 with a great variety of terrain. You are welcome to come ride with us when ever you want. Just let me know. 6x6 or golf cart!!!

Take care,
    Larry
    Last edited by LarryW; 01-21-2009 at 10:32 PM.

Hey guys another Michigan guy here. I live in Burton (By the Mounds) and hope to get a 6x6 soon. Will have to do some get togethers this year for sure.
    Thanks for posting the boat info as well, did not know that.

Hi Im from vassar mi about 25 miles east of saginaw I would be interested in going to the mounds also.

we will let you know when we set a date
    Kevin Hough
    TREBMASTER
    (____>
    .OOO

+ Reply to Thread