Tracks or Dual Tires?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Tracks or Dual Tires?

Tracks or Dual Tires?

I just bought a 2000 Max II and I'm gonna be using it in super sloppy mud here in south Louisiana. I want you guy's opinion on what would work best, tracks or dual tire kits? I have the 16hp briggs. Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the site. If you were dead set on one of those two, I think I would stick with tracks just because of how wide you would be with dual tires. However, I think your biggest problem will be your motor. The 16hp may be a little underpowered for tracks (or dual tires) .

Have you tried your Max out in the mud yet? You may be surprised where you can get with just the stock tires. Perhaps a tire upgrade would be a better move. I'm not trying to discourage you by any means, just throwing out some other options.

Try it out and see what it can do and don't forget the most important part...take plenty of pictures.

Edit: I just saw your other post and see that you haven't received your Max yet. Let us know how it performs once you get it.

Thanks

Thanks for the info and warm welcome. It should get here in a couple of weeks. I would love to keep the stock tires and retain the stock width. I'm not sure how it will do in our marshes though. I will keep you guys posted.

Hey Tec,

You will probably do fine most of the time. I had the stock Rawhides on my Hustler for one year and did fine. BTW, I am a fellow marsh rat and mosquito blood donor! The bottom line is that you will only get stuck to the bottom of the tub. You can get out and rock it most of the time.

Since putting the 25" Vampires on mine, the difference is that I can now tow a trailer through the most of the marsh, as long as it is not too mucky.

I only got stuck once this year when not towing a trailer....you know how it is, I hit this patch of yellow, sulfur smelling muck that was like quicksand, and just stopped. But I got out and rocked the Hustler and it came right out.
    Hammers should have warning labels.

Nice to know

Thanks man, nice to know. I was wondering about putting some vampires or similar tires on it. Only problem is we have some floating marsh thay may still be a problem.....I sure can't wait to test it out though! I have an '85 dual rear wheel 3-wheeler that does fairly well, I'm hoping the max does better!!!

By floating marsh you mean shallow water with lots of vegetation??? If so, I think your Max with the stock rawhides will do very well. Let us know after the test thrashing.
    Hammers should have warning labels.

Floating Marsh

Hard to describe the floating marsh. More like a matted bunch of dead vegitation/muck over a very soft layer of slop with no real hard bottom. Very hard to travel in however some of the 4-wheeler owners make it through it. Most companies around here use aluminum floatation tracked vehicles (marsh buggies). Has anyone here put tracks on a max II with the 16hp briggs? How about the dual tires?

West Central Louisiana near Toledo Bend Reservoir
    Welcome to the site,from a fellow Louisianian.I had the distinct pleasure of working siesmograph around Lake Maurepas and also the Henderson Swamp to the west.But it sounds as though you are farther south.I like your description of the floating marsh,I was mostly in the swamp but did get to feed the mosquitos in some of that terrain also.I think the Marsh buggies have 4' tracks but the swamp buggies we rode had 30" if I remember right.They did all right in the (floaties) but our driver said they couldn't hold a candle for the "marshies"(his words for them).We are talking about a type of terrain that is literally scary to even TRY to walk on!This stuff will actually move under your feet,and on the unhappy occasion that you break through,images that would even scare The Terminator will come to mind;I mean EEEEYYAAAHHHH!!! I still get the WILLIES just thinking about it!.Any way I think you will at least want to go with bigger tires and most likely tracks;(even if it means more motor)that is some country that a man just has to experience to fully comprehend.Again,welcome to the site and let us know what you decide.Good luck.-Gregg

Thanks

Thanks Greg, and your description of the marsh is better than mine! I'm looking forward to tinkering in my dad's machine shop and comming up with something to tackle this forbidden paradise! I do have a 25 kohler.....hmmmm

West Central Louisiana near Toledo Bend Reservoir
    ooooo! ooooo! Do it man... You gotta do it!
    btw Have you seen the Marsh Master?I think they are built around Baton Rouge,if you have ,what are your thoughts?

+ Reply to Thread