Old Max IV Restoration

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Old Max IV Restoration

Old Max IV Restoration

Here is a Max IV (1981) that my friend and I restored during the Summer of 2006. This was the first machine that I ever took in the Erie Canal which started the Canal Fest rides. The Max got a complete rebuild and the 440cc two stroke was an Arctic Cat Spirit 5000, then a 440cc CCW shortly after. We sold it and the new owner went to RI and installed a 25HP Kohler. I could never get over how big the thing was since every machine that I had owned up to that point had been a two seater Max or Attex. Im happy that it has a good home.

Max IV.jpg

Max IV 2.jpg

"Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Awesome Jeff. I had seen that picture of it finished before but never dreamed it started out looking like that. It looks like a whole new machine. Great work

Thanks Mike, its not a monster with those 26" shoes like yours but it was a fun machine. That two stroke 440cc engine in there could make that machine get squirly and lift up on 3 wheels when you took a turn hard.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Looks great JP...what a difference!

BTW, I have never seen a Max IV in person, how do they compare size-wise to a regular/"smallfoot" Hustler?

Thanks! They are very similar in size to a Max IV except they are a tad bit smaller just by a couple inches in length I believe. They drive a lot different than the Hustler because they have a higher center of gravity because the engine is mounted on a stand above the T-20. Also, you sit right over the front wheels on these machines. In my opinion the Hustler can be controlled easier than a Max IV because of its design.

That's kinda weird to put the motor on top?? Didn't expect that...prolly makes maintenance a little easier, but it does seem like it would raise the center of gravity.

Is sitting over the front wheels an advantage since it counterbalances the weight of the trans/motor?

Yes it raises the center of gravity more than I would want, but allows a 4 seater vehicle in a shorter overall length.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    Yes it raises the center of gravity more than I would want, but allows a 4 seater vehicle in a shorter overall length.

Makes sense...plus, I envy how easy your oil changes must be!

+ Reply to Thread