Lockley 295 Wrangler

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Lockley 295 Wrangler

Lockley 295 Wrangler

I just picked up a Lockley 295 Wrangler and am looking for some info on it like original pictures, sales brochures, specs, etc. I found a few pics on this website which have been helpful. It has a two stroke 440 engine - does anyone know what make or model it may be? I have a few pics I will post once I can resize them. Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Scott

The original engine was a 295 JLO. Some had a forward/reverse Apex transmission. I have seen pictures of one with an 18HP opposed twin engine which is what I have planned for mine. I have most of an original brochure advertising it as an All Season Vehicle. The wheels can be replaced with skis so you can go out and get stuck in the snow. I've been searching the Internet for the past 8 years or so for information, but there's not much to be found.

Swamp Frogg!

Quote Originally Posted by liflod View Post
    The original engine was a 295 JLO. Some had a forward/reverse Apex transmission. I have seen pictures of one with an 18HP opposed twin engine which is what I have planned for mine. I have most of an original brochure advertising it as an All Season Vehicle. The wheels can be replaced with skis so you can go out and get stuck in the snow. I've been searching the Internet for the past 8 years or so for information, but there's not much to be found.
    Hi Guys and Gals ,I'm new to thje sight from Mid Michigan,I just found one of these monster Lockley Wrangler 295's and it has the Apex trans with a non running JLO 295..We call it Swamp Frogg..Body is in very good shape with all parts including side vent covers..Frame has some rust,but still solid..I plan on installing a 4-stroke engine and ditching the smogger 2-Smoke engine..Not alot of info on these units,but I hope more info comes out,as far as when built and where....

They were built by Lockley Manufacturing in ~1970-1971 in New Castle PA. I believe they also made a sail boat.
    We called my first one "The Frog" , probably the same reason you call yours Frog.

Picture taken Fall 1980.
    Attached Images

Thanks for the info..I put a 12.5 Kohler OHV balanced engine in Swamp Frog and it runs and go's,but has a nasty gear skip in the forward gear of the forward reverse Apex gearbox..Any idea where to get parts???

Smile new wrangler owner

I just bought a lockley wrangler, can't find alot of info on it.. doesn't have
    reverse in it,, any suggestions on putting reverse into one? also pls share
    your experiences with your wrangler, tks

Quote Originally Posted by poppy View Post
    I just bought a lockley wrangler, can't find alot of info on it.. doesn't have
    reverse in it,, any suggestions on putting reverse into one? also pls share
    your experiences with your wrangler, tks
    Was it the one on Ebay in PA?If so that one was very nice..Comet clutch Industries has a F and R gearbox if you have around $300 to spend..

Yes it was the one on ebay,, It is in very nice shape,, jlo motor, but locked
    up,, I want to put a 4 stroke in it,, have you ever heard of someone putting
    a bike motor in that has fwd/rev,, looking for ideas, it doesn't have to go
    fast,,,tks

You will need a fan cooled engine in that machine. A bike motor will overheat in the engine bay. A snowmobile engine is your cheapest way out. I plan on using a Briggs 18HP twin I/C in mine when I get to it. If that doesn't work out, I will use my 340 Kawaski / Arctic Cat 2 stroke.

The Apex trans is the same that was used in the Coots, Alsport Trackers and some other machines. Richard Clark (Route 6x6)may have some gears for them.

Anybody have a decent frame for one?

Mine is too far gone to repair. I need 2 pieces, 6 foot long, of 4 inch channel with 1 inch legs. It's only about 1/16th steel. A local fab shop will bend it for me, but it will cost me about $125.00 for the steel. "Standard" 4" U channel is way too heavy to use for this application.

comet gearbox

I have a F-N-R gearbox made by comet i had bought it for a scrambler project i was doing but i got rid of the scrambler and never used the gear box if your interested $200

+ Reply to Thread